Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicating contacts give BLANK contact fields

Duplicating contacts give BLANK contact fields

We used to be able to "duplicate contact" - using "primary fields" or "all fields"

A while ago we noticed a problem with this so we installed the latest hotfixes.

We have Sage ACT! Premium (Web) 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 6

It did not fix the problem.

When ANYONE tries to duplicate a contact it will give us a blank contact. Sometimes this is saved - othertimes this blank one just disappears.

When I do a search I only find ideas about "duplicate checking" - that's not the issue. Just duplicating a record so we can add a different contact  name, etc.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicating contacts give BLANK contact fields

Hello wardjet,
Is this occurring in the web client or the desktop client, or both? Does it happen all the time, or just when duplicating certain contacts? Try running maintenance on your database from the web server (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

This is occurring on the client pcs. All of them.

Just now I restarted ACT and could do the "all fields" duplicate...then tried another company and it didn't work.

It doesn't seem to matter if the contact is "linked" to a company or not.  Yesterday I could duplicate a couple contacts while working directly on the server, but then later I couldn't.  Same contact, same pc.

I will try the maintenance and let you know.

THAT seems to have done the trick for now. 

Thanks.

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was this issue resolved? How was it resolved?  Nothing I see in this post has worked for me.

UPDATE 02-07-2014 - I BELIEVE THE PROCEDURE BELOW WILL RESOLVE THIS ISSUE

02072014- I believe I worked out the solution below as it pertains to using my Fill Staff ACT! database for recruiters.

Note keyword: Target Database. In this case, my Fill Staff DB was the Target DB...

It worked for me on ACT!2013Premium and ACT!v16Pro (Windows7Pro and Vista Pro). Also see image re merge settings.

====

Note: Newly created records are probably not affected and the Contact Record feature: CONTACTS/CREATE DUPLICATE CONTACT should function normally? 

Make sure User Name and the My Record Contact Name are same.

HOW TO RESOLVE ACT! Database IMPORT PROBLEM  NOT ABLE TO CORRECTLY "CREATE DUPLICATE RECORDS FROM CONTACT RECORDS"     AFTER IMPORTING YOUR ORIGINAL ACT! DB DATA  INTO  ANOTHER ACT! DATABASE SUCH AS: FILLSTAFF ATS ACT! DB.

Basic Process: From Bad ACT! database, create a Empty Copy of the bad database ( File / Save AS / Empty Copy ).. 

Then, Exporting the bad records out of the Bad ACT! database, into somthing like Txt Tab Delimited file(Note:  Excel not recommended if you wish to retain your Notes ),  

Then importing that txt file into that empty File/Save Copy As ACT! DB will resolve data corruption.

Details can be viewed from my server in pdf format at

http://034f1b3.netsolhost.com/001aACTDATABASEBLANKDUPLICATERECORDHOWTORESOLUTION02072014.pdf

======================================================================================

Hope this helps others. Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html