Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicates on import

Duplicates on import

[ Edited ]

I have been doing several imports over the past 6 weeks.  Initially the duplicate checker thing was working and I had confirm each duplicate checked and was able to see what was a duplicate each time and then chose what to do. 

I imported 166 contacts yesterday.... so far I have come accross 103 which are duplicates even though I got no errors or pop up boxes telling me during import of a duplicate.

This morning I went ahead and double checked my settings, even modified them somewhat based on KB's help section and then I did a test import with 4 contacts (3 of which I entered yesterday and 1 which was a test of made up info).

Based on KB, I had my preferences set as match contact records on:  Company then Contact then Phone and enable box is checked.  (Yesterday my criteria was Contact, Phone, Address) On my contact merge options in the import wizard, I have the confirm each match box checked, if source records match destination records I tried both merge and do not add, then in if source records do not match destination I have Add selected.

Both times all 4 records were imported with no pop up box confirming of a match and all records were imported.

What am I doing wrong?  According to KB just 2 out of 3 criteria have to be met for it to be considered a duplicate.  All my criteria are identical as I'm using the exact same data that I imported yesterday (and twice today)... so I just don't get why I'm not being warned of dupes or it isn't automatically not entering them.

Please help.  I'm trying to clean up the database... not add to the mess.

FTR, I'm using Act 10.0

Message Edited by imnosupermom on 05-01-2008 08:27 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Duplicates on import

What original format are the items you are importing?

I'm importing them from Excel in a .csv file.  It is the same way I've done it all along, with no prior problems.

Can anyone help with this?  I've wasted 24 hours already and of course our support plan with ACT ended the last day in April.
Copper Super Contributor

imnosupermom wrote:
Can anyone help with this?  I've wasted 24 hours already and of course our support plan with ACT ended the last day in April.

imnosupermom,

This isn't exactly on demand help support.  I realize this may seem like a dire emergency to you, but we all have our own emergencies to deal with as well.

I'm really not sure the exact cause of your duplicate problem, you really haven't provided enough information.  The one thing I would suggest is that you make sure you really scrutinize your data.  For instance, if you have a company in your database that is "ACME Product" and you import "ACME Products" (second has an s) then they aren't the same company.  They may appear to be similar to you, but they aren't an exact match.  Since you are checking on THREE different fields, you need to make sure that there isn't a discrepancy in one or all of those places.  The problem could be user error or a technical error.  Unfortunately, without knowing the EXACT data values, I wouldn't be able to eliminate user error.

I realize this isn't on demand support.  I was just hoping someone had run into a similiar problem in the past and could give me an idea of where to start.

The information is identical.  On my test runs yesterday I imported contacts from the same exact list I had imported the day before.  All the records were imported without a pop up telling me there were duplicates.

I had no doubt this could be a user error issue.  I take complete responsibility that I am not at full speed with ACT and could have missed something.  In fact when I first noticed the duplicates, that is why I went to KB and checked my settings, read up on it as much as I could, before even posting here.  I also did the test runs where I knew the info was identical to try and eliminate user error.  Before the test runs I had noticed the formating in the phone numbers between records to be different some used free format others had () some had - so I thought that might have been making the difference.  However, in the test runs the info was identical.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by exact data values.  But here is one of my test contacts (I put in a made up record along with the real records).  I have imported that record 3 times now and every time it enters it as a new record.

First Last Title Company Address City State Zip Phone Fax E-mail List

Test Tester Manager Testing 123 123 Bla Test CA 12345 9515551212 9515551213 test@testing123.com Supervisor

I'm sorry if I came accross as impatient, that was not my intention.  I just didn't want my post to get lost in the shuffle.  I thought it might be as simple as how I had my preferences set for merging and someone would be able to say, you need it set to x not y.

Copper Super Contributor

imnosupermom wrote:

I realize this isn't on demand support.  I was just hoping someone had run into a similiar problem in the past and could give me an idea of where to start.

The information is identical.  On my test runs yesterday I imported contacts from the same exact list I had imported the day before.  All the records were imported without a pop up telling me there were duplicates.

I had no doubt this could be a user error issue.  I take complete responsibility that I am not at full speed with ACT and could have missed something.  In fact when I first noticed the duplicates, that is why I went to KB and checked my settings, read up on it as much as I could, before even posting here.  I also did the test runs where I knew the info was identical to try and eliminate user error.  Before the test runs I had noticed the formating in the phone numbers between records to be different some used free format others had () some had - so I thought that might have been making the difference.  However, in the test runs the info was identical.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by exact data values.  But here is one of my test contacts (I put in a made up record along with the real records).  I have imported that record 3 times now and every time it enters it as a new record.

First Last Title Company Address City State Zip Phone Fax E-mail List

Test Tester Manager Testing 123 123 Bla Test CA 12345 9515551212 9515551213 test@testing123.com Supervisor

I'm sorry if I came accross as impatient, that was not my intention.  I just didn't want my post to get lost in the shuffle.  I thought it might be as simple as how I had my preferences set for merging and someone would be able to say, you need it set to x not y.

Okay, I think I noticed a possible problem.  You've selected a duplicate checking on Contact, Phone Address, but when you do your import, you're importing as First [first name] and Last [last name].  Act will take these values and combine them to form Contact, but I don't think that is done during import.  You might want to change your duplicate checking to Last, First, and then either Phone or Address. 

Why don't you try tweaking your duplicate checking and see if that works.

Thanks.  I think you are on the right track... I just have to figure out the exact tweaking.

When I did my first test run taking contact out, the duplicates popped out like they should.  However, in the top box contact was then blank and it made it hard to tell what I should choose in terms of handling the add/merge.  For example, it showed that there was 2 matches, those matches showed someones name... but it was not the person I was adding, and I know they also already had a record in there.  Had this been a large import I wouldn't have know since the contact spot was blank who the person was or that they had a record in there already.  Not sure that made sense.

I realized that in the past, most of my imports were contacts, not first name last name and so that could be the difference.  I then changed my import file to combine first/last so I could import it as contact field.  I then switched it back to allow to look at contact, and all the dupes were added to the database without warning.

I hope that made some sense.  Thanks again for all the help.  IF I can't figure it out by Monday am, our ACT certified consultant will come out.

Copper Super Contributor

It sounds like it's a step in the right direction.  Hopefully won't be importing too many people with last names like Smith, Brown, etc.  Also, if you have a Robert Smith and a Bob Smith, they will not appear as duplicates, even when importing by separate Last Name and First Name.  Those are also things to look out for.

Goodluck and keep us updated.

Did you ever figure out the solution to your problem?  I am having a similar experience.  I have a CSV file that contains first and last name and company ID and I have the contact duplicate checking set to match on first and last name and company ID.  I look at the data and it looks the same to me, but it never matches and updates the blank fields in the contact record.  It doesn't create a duplicate record either though so it does at least recognize that it is the same data.  If I use the phone number it matches so the matching does work, I just need it to work on first and last name and company ID.  Thanks for your help!