Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Values in Dropdown lists

Duplicate Values in Dropdown lists

I have ACT Premium 2008.  Several of the fields have dropdowns lists.  Unfortunately, multiple people have access to modifying the lists and I've found duplicate values.  They are not exact duplicates--an example would be LST and Lst (though ACT is seeing them that way). When I do a lookup on Lst, it brings up all the LST's also...so it's seeing the value the same.

I want to clean up the dropdown list, but if I get rid of, say, Lst, it's going to delete the value for all LST's also.

Is there a way I can convert so all records have only LST, and get rid of value Lst?

T

Copper Contributor

Re: Duplicate Values in Dropdown lists

You need to create a look up of all of the records that have the incorrect selection.  Then Go To Edit>Replace Field.  Type in the correct selection.  Then once you get all records to the correct selection, Go To Tools>Define Fields.  Select Manage Drop Downs and choose then select edit.  Deselect the option ALLOW USERS TO EDIT, select Next and delete the incorrect entry.  This will prevent the user from adding to the drop down and be forced to use the selection available. 
Kay Hughes
Act Certified Consultant

Ok, thanks.  I cleaned up records so they all have "LST" as value.  BUT, when I do a lookup on "Lst"  it is pulling all "Lst" AND all "LST", so ACT sees the two values as the same thing.  I want to delete the "Lst" value from my dropdown, to clean it up.  But, if ACT sees "Lst" and "LST" as being the same, it is going to delete the "LST" values also.....How can I get around that?

--Tina

Copper Contributor

When you create the look up of ALL the records that you want to be changed (including the ones that are correct), do a replace with a blank space to get rid of the mismatched.  Then keep that same look up and do another replace with the correct spelling. 
Kay Hughes
Act Certified Consultant