Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Contacts works in List view not Detail View

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Duplicate Contacts works in List view not Detail View

In ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 5, when looking at a contact in detailed view, no matter if you use the Duplicate Contact icon or select it out of the Contacts menu, the screen refreshes and shows the original contacts information, but does not make a new entry/contact. Simply switching to list view allows the contact to be duplicated. I have tested multiple machines (Win7, XP and SBS2008) connected to a local database and they all have the same issue.

It sounds  like some posts that mention getting a warning, but that was resolved in hotfixes and this issue gives no error messages or warnings.

I have tried rebooting the machine with the DB, check and repair the DB, and reinstalling ACT! on a client machine.

Suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eco.IT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Duplicate Contacts works in List view not Detail View

Chalk this one up to user error. The users and I have been filtering contacts by name, then duplicating contacts that do get created, but don't show up in the filtered list as the contact name is blank.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Eco.It,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Does the same thing happen in the demo database (ACT2010Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Mr. Hollister,

Thank you for your reply.

This symptom does not occur in other databases. I created a new database with two contacts, then while in Detail view duplicated a contact both by clicking on the icon and then again going through the contact menu.

Copper Contributor

I tried doing the full repair by running actdiag. Still didn't help. From the Detail view, I see the number of contacts increment, then the screen refreshes and it goes back to the origial total number of contacts. I then go to List View and everything works just fine.

Any ideas?

What happens if you try using a different layout for the contact detail screen?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

When I view the contacts in list view, select the contact I want to duplicate, and click the Duplicate Contact icon, a new contact is added and the number of contacts increments. This behavior is what I want and what I see in the new test database. I realize this is a fine work around and have spread this to the users.

I realzie this is a minor complaint, but I wanted to make it known, see if someone else is experienceing the same thing, and check if it could be a symptom of something bigger.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Eco.IT
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Chalk this one up to user error. The users and I have been filtering contacts by name, then duplicating contacts that do get created, but don't show up in the filtered list as the contact name is blank.

Glad you were able to figure this one out! Just to clarify, when you say you were filtering by name, did you have an active contact name lookup at the time you duplicated the contact?

I think this may have been handled in later versions, by giving you the option to enable the "All Contacts" lookup when duplicating a contact so it would not be filtered out.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Being in IT and not a regualar user of ACT!, I followed the direction of a few users. We'd select contacts from the left hand pane, type in a search by the contact's name, then duplicate the contact. This would create a duplicate record that wouldn't appear or increment the number listed in the search because the duplicate contact would have a blank name field. I would be able to find the duplicated contact entry without a name if I searched by other criteria or scrolled through the whole contact list.