Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Checking Preferences is not working

Duplicate Checking Preferences is not working

When trying to set preference for contact duplicate checking ,,, I only found 3 custom fields in the lists ,,, not default fields are there and no other custom fields ONLY 3 !!!!!!!!! 

Tried to delete the Database Preference file and rebuild the database schema from ACtDiag but in vain.

Any help, or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Sarrah

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Duplicate Checking Preferences is not working

Hello Sarrah,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

What version of ACT! are you running?
Have you tested this in the demo database (after creating some custom fields in the demo)?
Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I am using ACT! Premium 2008 for Web. I have tested the demo database and the feature is working correctly even after creating new custom fields.

I am afraid my database is corrupted or something like this because we have made too many  custom fields and tailoed layouts for it.!

Please Greg note that the only 3 Custom fields that appear in the duplicate cheking list were almost the last 3 added custom fields.

Any other Suggestions?

Thanks again,

Sarrah

This isn't an indication of corruption within your database, this is actually a known issue within the 2008 product.  It is caused by the creation of enough fields to fill up the basic contact field table and create spill over tables.  Unfortunately there isn't a way to control which fields will or won't be listed.

If you aren't using the 'User Fields', you may want to rename them to fields to use for duplicate checking.  You can try to populate the renamed fields (depending on data types) by using the Edit > Copy Fields command.  Again, the custom fields may or may not be available in that drop down.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you Greg for clearing it up to me, but I am disappointed to hear that this is a know issue and there's no way to fix it. Is it it solved in the after 2008 releases ?????

I don't think the user fields will be useful in my case because the copy field option will be done to the existing records and there are no grantee that the future records will not contains duplicates. Any way the user fields are not listed in the duplicate checking list. But I have an idea that crossed my mind just now and would like to ask if it will be beneficial or not.

If I have a new database and deleted all the unused fields from it and then add again all the customization we have done before, would this solve the issue of the spill over tables issues!!!!!

Thank you very much for your co-operation and support. Thanks in Advance.

Sarrah

This issue has been resolved in a later release (I believe ACT! 2009...).

Your idea of a new database MAY work - but there isn't a guarantee that it will. It would be worth the effort of creating the new db > removing unused fields > entering some custom fields > check the drop down lists. If the fields appear in the list, you could then import the original database into the new one.
Greg Martin
Sage