Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Checking Not Checking

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Duplicate Checking Not Checking

Hello all,

So I've been having some problems with my duplicate checking, in that it isn't checking duplicates.  I've tested it numerous times with dummy contacts to see if they mail to be merged, and I've been on the line at least twice with the Act team to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.  It doesn't appear that I am -- seems like a fairly simple setup besides.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎05-02-2017 08:42 AM

Re: Duplicate Checking Not Checking

As as test would it be possible to take a small amount of contacts (5-10) and then import them.

Also to ensure you are not using First name / Last name in the import - as we presently have a defect when duplicate checking on those fields.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! dup checking depends on an exact match for all criteria listed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy!  (Thanks for the help with setting this whole thing up properly by the way.)  I understand that - but if I'm certain that the criteria does match exactly, and it still doesn't work, what then?

Hi Nick, 

Would you be able to provide the fields you are checking on? Can I also confirm the steps you are preforming where you are intending the duplicate checking to work on?

Nickel Super Contributor

Something I learned from Roy a few years ago:

If you have imported data into the fields that are included in the dupe check, make sure that there isn't an extra space at the end of any of the fields, because then the data doesn't match exactly.

For instance see below...the x's indicate the end of the data:

Joe Smithxxxxxx

Joe Smith xxxxxx

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Hey, thanks for the replies.  I'm only on this job intermittently so apologies for the delayed reply.

The fields I'm checking at the moment are just Email, then Contact.  (The point raised by ritakog is well taken, I had wondered about that.)

The process goes as follows:

File -> Import -> Type of file: Excel (.xls) -> select 'contact records' -> Custom import; duplicate setting as previously stated -> do not import first record -> everything looks as it should in the contact map -> select 'merge' under merge options, confirm each match -> "All fields are compatible, import may continue"

Everything gets imported, but without the dupes being caught.  And I know there are dupes because I put them there myself.

Platinum Elite Contributor

I would try exporting the file from Excel to tab delimited and then try inporting that file into the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I've tried that too, no dice.

Solution
Accepted by topic author NickCC
‎05-02-2017 08:42 AM

As as test would it be possible to take a small amount of contacts (5-10) and then import them.

Also to ensure you are not using First name / Last name in the import - as we presently have a defect when duplicate checking on those fields.

Ah, so that's the problem!  Thank you very much.