Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Duplicate Checking (Act Prem 2005/v7)

Copper Super Contributor

Duplicate Checking (Act Prem 2005/v7)

I use a field, License Number, that was added when we were still using Act 6. I can use this field for duplicate checking just fine. I recently added additional fields, License_CA, and others for licenses in other states. When I go to Tools >> Preferences >> Duplicate Checking, none of these new fields are options for the duplicate scanning.

Does Act only dup check on fields that are listed in the primary table? I've had other issues with fields that weren't copying correctly when creating a duplicate contact because of this issue.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Duplicate Checking (Act Prem 2005/v7)

Do have fields copy when duplicating a contact, you need to make them Primary fields in Tools | Design fields.

Duplicate checking fields are for checking that the record doesn't already exist when creating a new contact from scratch or from an import
Copper Super Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Do have fields copy when duplicating a contact, you need to make them Primary fields in Tools | Design fields.
Duplicate checking fields are for checking that the record doesn't already exist when creating a new contact from scratch or from an import

Mike,

I realize that you can do duplicate checking when creating contacts from scratch or at time of import. You can also duplicate scan at any time in the database. That is what I'm trying to do, but on custom fields. Here's our situation:

We work in insurance and the majority of people have a license. We use this license as a unique ID. Most of our business is done is California, but we have contacts from all states. We have a field, License Number, which has the license number for all states (if it's CA, then it's just the number, if it's another state, it's ### XX, where XX is the state abbreviation). Some people have license numbers in many states. The license number for their state goes into the main field, for Texas, as ##### TX. But that person may have a CA license too, so I need to track that. I've created additional fieds, LicenseCA, and LicenseTX, etc.

Now a contact will have their CA number in LicenseCA, their Texas number in LicenseTX, and '#### TX' in the License Number field. I can currently do a duplicate check on License number, but not on LicenseCA or LicenseTX. When importing CA license numbers, I don't know if the person is already in the database if the field has their TX number in it. That's why I need to be able to do the duplicate checking on many other fields. But Act 2005 isn't letting me.

At one point I had created a field, Effective Date, and starting use it for CA licenses. I was able to dup check on that field, but then I renamed it to LicenseCA, and now I can no longer check for duplicates there.
Platinum Elite Contributor

You can change the dupe check fields - tools | Preferences | duplicate checking

But you can't tell it to match any of the fields. It will only be a duplicate if all the fields match (or one field if you only use one)

If would be possible to do this with the SDK, but I can't see enough users wanting it for Sage to add it.