Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop Down Menu - Custom Field List Behavior - Allow Multi-Select option is grayed out for ACT 2010 Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 4

Drop Down Menu - Custom Field List Behavior - Allow Multi-Select option is grayed out for ACT 2010 Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 4

I set up ACT sometime ago and have upgraded it through multiple versions since 1994.  Some of the user fields I originally created were set up to allow multi-select and they still work as they were originally created.  I tried to change one of them and the Custom Field List Behavior option - Allow Multi-Select is now grayed out.   I do not know how to change it back to be selectable.  The work around I created is as follows:  When I have several multi select options say EBook1; EBook 2; EBook 3, EBook 4; I have to create multiple single select options that allow for up to all 4 factorial combinations of EBooks 1, 2, 3, and 4 in order to be able to select the multiple options for any given customer.  If I want customer 1 to be identified with EBook 1 and EBook 2, then I have to create a single option that looks like (EBook 1; EBook 2) so that I can show that this single customer owns both EBooks.  If I want to be able to show that this customer owns all four EBooks then I have to create a single option that looks like this (EBook 1; EBook 2; EBook 3; EBook 4).  I can use this choice to track when I have sent the single customer EBooks 1-4 on my list of 20 Electronic Books.  As you can see this will get more complicated as my customers purchase different Electronic Books from our library over time.   I simply want the Allow Multi-Select  to be Un-Grayed-Out so that I can us it as designed.  How can I fix  this problem with ACT 2010 Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 4?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Drop Down Menu - Custom Field List Behavior - Allow Multi-Select option is grayed out for ACT 2010 Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 4

Hello Bob,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. If "Limit to List" is not selected, then select it, click Back, then click Next, and see if the option is available. Also, what data type are these fields? I have seen this happen with Number-type fields.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Drop Down Menu - Custom Field List Behavior - Allow Multi-Select option is grayed out for ACT 2010 Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 4

Greig Hollister:

Thanks for the lead to the real solution: 

When I viewed the list of options;

The "Limit to List" was checked

Allow Multi-Select was grayed out

Show Description was chedked

Enable Type Ahead was checked

So your idea was not a direct solution to my issue.

I then backed up one page and found that "Selected Primary Field" was un-checked, so I checked this item and moved forward and found that the "Allow Multi-Select" was no longer grayed out, so I checked it and finished editing the field.  When I visited the current record and viewed the ID-Status field, the two separate items; C1 and PRIDE-Member were selected as individual inputs to the ID-Status field.  I was able to change the individual options for identifying an individul's ID-Status and each time the multi-select worked as it is intended to work. 

So my problem is now fixed and I appreciate your assistance with this fix process.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Bob,
Glad to hear you were able to get the issue resolved. I will review the information we have in our Knowledgebase and update accordingly per your feedback. Thanks!

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Greig,

Thanks for your assistance.  I have been struggling with this for a long time and just got back to it recently.  Over and out for now.

Bob Gaskins

[edit: removed account information]

Greg,

The issue is not completely resolved.  I have since found out that when I re-visit a field that works as planned, (i.e. the multi-select option works), the option (Multi-Select...) is grayed out.  I have to use the back arrow then I can check the Multi-Select... option then finish and the option works.  If I do not do this go back routine and check the Multi-Select... option then it quits working.  So Like they say, It only hurts when I laugh, so I'll simply quit laughing.  In other words, now that I know how to get the option to work, I'll leave it alone and forget that the screen will show the Multi-Select.... option grayed out the next time I visit the option screen.  If it works, it works, even though, logically it should not work.....  Let me know if you have this issue in the 2012 version of ACT!  I am planning to upgrade soon and will find out for myself.

This is my last post to this issue.  I appreciate your feedback... Bob Gaskins, Raleigh, NC