Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Double Data Entry

Double Data Entry

My sales guys put in all the info for a contact (name, address, etc.) and at top they put in name of company.  However, when they months later try to remember they remember company but not name.  ACT does not save company name typeed in.  What I find is that I have to in and create that company and link contact to them.  Shouldn't this be an automatic save? 

Re: Double Data Entry

Yikes my typing.  Simply put when entering info in contact mode, if you put in company name, the company is not saved automatically.  If the company already existed in ACT, then you would see the "purple" lettering.

Platinum Super Contributor

The company name should be saving automatically. Have you tested creating a new contact and entering the company > then exiting/reopening the database to verify if the company name is retained?

You'll also want to test this in the demo database to verify if this is a database specific issue.
Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps there may be confusion if the users have been using Access as a database and they are searching for companies direct in the field by typing in the name of the field thay are looking for, which is not supported in ACT! companies field in the contact record.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Greg yes we have tested that way, they do not save.

What do you mean by demo in this case.  Accessing the demo is like you are a new customer getting a free trial.

I'm referring to testing in the Demo database - it is installed with the ACT! program for users to test and play around with. In situations like this, it can be used to determine if the problem is specific to your database or with the installation of ACT!. As an alternative, you can create a new database and test with it.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg same thing happens on the demo.  It is not "picking up" company name and holding it. 

I've not heard of the Company field on the Contact detail screen failing to retain information before, so pardon me if the questions sound repeated...

What version of ACT! are you running?

To verify exactly what is happening:

1. On Contact Detail screen: If you type in a company name in the Company field (not linked/underlined), after closing/reopening (or going to a different contact record) when you return to that contact record the Company field is blank.  Is that correct?

2. On Contact Detail screen: If you link the Company field  to an existing Company (underlined), after closing/reopening (or going to a different contact record) when you return to that contact record the Company field is blank (or unlinked?).  Is that correct?

Or is it a different set of steps/circumstances?  If different, please provide steps so I can test.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg" Premium 2011 is our version.

1.  No the company field is still showing a company but it does not get underlined and therefore clickable.

2.  TWhy would I link a new company field to an existing one. 

These companies we enter don't get underlined after entry in the Contact screen.