Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Don't let new members post with URLs (SPAM POSTS)

Silver Super Contributor

Don't let new members post with URLs (SPAM POSTS)

I put this in before for the Moderators but got no response so trying again.

We are getting far to many Spam posts with URLs and some may be harmful. The moderators are not removing in a timely way so this is not a good advert for the professionalism of the product.

My answer to this is quite simple, there any a number of stages of membership of this forum and when a new person joins that is New Member.

Simply do not give New Members the ability to include a URL in their posts. If genuine and after a small amount of time they will be elevated to the next level of membership that will allow URLs.

Moderators please respond.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Don't let new members post with URLs (SPAM POSTS)

Had 25 unread posts this morning. 20 were SPAM.
Have tried several times to get in contact with someone being able to make decisions about the community "security".
Recently sent again this ( and got no answer as always):

A severe degradation in quality is underway since quite some time.
Maintenance seems to take place only when insisting on action via personal emails. The ratio of spam vs. “real posts” has meanwhile reached 50:50 for new posts.
I have tried to propose countermeasures frequently to different persons over the last years and never succeeded so far.
The crucial point is the lack of a mandatory user verification BEFORE posts can be created. I’m moderating our own forum concerning this & I can assure you that a user verification will result in a drop of spam to 0 % immediately.
In the long run the pure existence of a user verification leads to the fact that the attempts to create fake users begins to drop from hundreds per month to 1 per month after about half a year, as bots tend to “blacklist” forums with user verification!

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Silver Super Contributor

Thanks Melville for your input. Anyone new or looking at ACT as a product that came to this forum would be far from impressed at the effort made by Swiftpage to manage this site. I know they have been looking at costs but I think this is a false economy as it will harm ACTs status as a professional product.

Copper Elite Contributor

I completely share your point of view!!!
Jan Teske
ACC
jbt consulting