Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does RDB have to be current?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Does RDB have to be current?

OK, I have a remote database running fine on a laptop, syncing fine over the Internet all is good!!!

Question, now I want to add another laptop to the remote sync system.  Does the RDB have to be "current" with the main database, or can the original RDB be reused, and then the new laptop will "catch up" ion its first sync.  Or, do I need to recreate the RDB each and every time I add a remote user?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Does RDB have to be current?

Each Remote Database is synced based on the computer name installed on.  Once you Create, Deploy, and Sync a RDB on a remote laptop, the database is linked with the laptop name.  If you change the laptop name, you won't be able to sync again without either naming it back or by recreating/redeploying the original RDB from the server.  You won't be able to deploy the same RDB to a second machine and be able to sync since the server only allows the initial client to sync (based on computer name).

For good measure, I believe that each user should have their own individual Remote Database connected with their own individual Sync Set.  At least that was the case for ACT 2005 in my experience.  ACT 2009 Premium may be able to handle multiple users on one Sync set, but I haven't read any recommendations to do so.

So, in your situation, I'd create a new user in ACT and create/deploy/sync a new RDB file for that user.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Each Remote Database is synced based on the computer name installed on.  Once you Create, Deploy, and Sync a RDB on a remote laptop, the database is linked with the laptop name.  If you change the laptop name, you won't be able to sync again without either naming it back or by recreating/redeploying the original RDB from the server.  You won't be able to deploy the same RDB to a second machine and be able to sync since the server only allows the initial client to sync (based on computer name).

For good measure, I believe that each user should have their own individual Remote Database connected with their own individual Sync Set.  At least that was the case for ACT 2005 in my experience.  ACT 2009 Premium may be able to handle multiple users on one Sync set, but I haven't read any recommendations to do so.

So, in your situation, I'd create a new user in ACT and create/deploy/sync a new RDB file for that user.

Copper Contributor

Ahhhh, very good, that ought to be in the manual {Smiley Happy
Copper Contributor

Just to clarify, say I want to deploy 5 RDB files in the next 2 weeks. I create 5 different RDB files then i can deploy them over the 2 weeks and they all will sync up the first time.
Copper Super Contributor

Yes.  For instance, lets say you create and RDB and give it 90 days to sync before it expires.  You could copy that RDB to a remote client system on day 85, unpack it, and then sync it.  While this is not recommended due to the number of changes that could have happened over those 85 days, ACT shouldn't prevent you from syncing.

In fact, I have a user whose RDB file was created some time ago but whose existing system couldn't support ACT 2009.  The system is being replaced soon and I'll be able to continue with the ACT 2009 installation.  While I COULD still use the RDB I created originally, it would be better to recreate the RDB from the server even though I haven't deployed/unpacked/synced the original RDB file I created.  The initial sync time will be drastically reduced, which is usually helpful is the end users is sitting there waiting for it to sync Smiley Wink

And I agree about the documented manual.  I've learned many things through Trial and Error over the past few years of managing ACT.  I wish there was some authoritative Best Practices resource readily available here, but I have yet to locate one that covers a wide range of ACT features.  And searching through the tons of KB's and Online Forums doesn't exactly make it easy to find helpful hints before you encounter problems!