Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does ACT take advantage of dual-core machines?

Does ACT take advantage of dual-core machines?

We'd previously been spending a lot of time waiting on ACT to re-populate the mini-calendar list. (Granted, some of our users have over 400 rollover calls; we've since changed policy about clearing them out). During this time the CPU usage would jump up to 100% and stay there for a minute or more.

I was all excited when we finally set up our Dual-core Pentium, but alas no speed increase. Now when the user attempts the same thing the CPU jumps to 50% steady and we end up waiting the same amount of time.

Is there something we can do that will let us take advantage of having a dual-core cpu?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Does ACT take advantage of dual-core machines?

What version of ACT! (full build from Help | about)?

With ACT! 2008, you need Premium ST for multiple processors, but according to this, even EX should use dual core - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914278

Is this on a single machine or LAN?
Does the processor jump on workstation or server if a LAN?
How fast is the hard drive (in rpm)?
How much RAM?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Only the ST version of Premium if on a Server OS if I recall.  Why do you ask?  How many users and records do you have?
-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net

We use ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162 on all systems including the server.

We are in a workgroup environment with only about 5 workstations connecting to the server, which itself runs xp pro. The other workstations have some version of XP, home or pro.

The client computers are either
P4 2.5 GHZ 1 GB RAM
Dual Core Pentium 1.8 GHz 2 GB RAM
Both have a regular 7200 rpm disk drive

The server I think has a Pentium D processor and a single 10K drive

I don't know if the server itself takes a dump when this is happening, but on both of the described clients this is happening (it's the same user account, his old and new computers). I'll ask this user to do the same thing and watch the server here in a second.

I can't imagine why it should be going so slow even on our meager 100 Mbps lan setup -- but keep in mind he's looking at 400+ tasks. (But still, a minute + ?)
Platinum Elite Contributor

You could also try logging into ACT! on the server as the user in question and see how it goes... it could be just sending the 400 activities over the LAN and storing them in the workstation RAM