Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Documents tab causes Act 16 to close.

Copper Contributor

Documents tab causes Act 16 to close.

Version: 16 Premium

MS Office 2013

Upgraded to Windows 10 recently.

Issue:  Some contacts have Excel or Word files that are linked to the documents folder in Act.  When I click the Documents Tab a small window comes up saying a program has stopped Act from working and then Act closes.  

I looked up the Sync history and there are several items about MS WIN 32 Registry Key and Act Outlook Service Desktop and Outlook Sync 

I am wondering if Act doesn't recognize the file type after Windows 10 upgrade.  Most of the files are .xlsx   

Would really appreciate the help.  (To be honest I have been using Act since 1999 and have never not had issues)  It is a lousy program.)  

Peterino

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Documents tab causes Act 16 to close.

I don't think this is anything to do with the file types.

It's a known bug for Act! when running in W10.

PS. I'm sorry that you think that Act! is a lousy program. Have you ever received any training from an Act! consultant?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

I have not had any specific trainging but I have used Act for the past 16 years.  There have been an assortment of different issues over the years and Act has not been helpful to resolve.  Lots of Outlook Sync issues.  I have just never found the Act programs to be stable.  

Copper Contributor

Do you think since it is a Windows 10 issue that it won't be resolved except for a newer version?  

Copper Elite Contributor

Where you having this issue before updating to Windows 10? And if you weren't how is it Acts fault?

I have heard lots of horror stories from customers that have done the upgrade to windows 10 and how is screwed their machines up, so if it is affecting ACT! it's not the only thing the upgrade is affecting.

Things to check, where are the files located? can you browse to them through the network and open them? Is this happening with all users? Have you checked the folder location to make sure everybody has rights to the attachments folder.

I vaguely remember this issue long ago when I was in support, are they actual files or are they shortcuts to the files?

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Silver Super Contributor

This is definitely an issue with the Windows 10 upgrade.  People that install Windows 10 from a download don't seem to have the problem but people that install Windows 10 as an upgrade for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 seem to have the problem.  I don't know if Act! Software Development has figured out exactly what is causing the problem but I do know that they are aware of it and have been able to reproduce it so I suspect a fix will be out shortly.  I can't say for sure if there will be a fix for Act! v16 but I'm fairly certain that there will be a fix for Act! v17.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

I get your point. I have found over the years that there have been many quirky issues with the Act programs. The previous version was bought just prior to the release of Windows 8. I had to buy a new PC which cam with 8 and then I had no end of Act issues. Act wasn't about to correct the situation on previous versions and so I had to upgrade. This is not the first time. Now I go with 10 and again Act probably won't want to help.
I can browse to the files through the network and open them from their but it looks like the info is not the same as it was when I opened the files through Act. Weird.
I am set up as administrator with full rights.

Appreciate you comments. P