Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do primary contact fields get overwritten on import if column doesn't exist?

Copper Contributor

Do primary contact fields get overwritten on import if column doesn't exist?

I recently imported data, overwriting existing fields, and had it match on Company name and Zip. I did not have a phone or e-mail column in my data file. Now the fields in the file are overwritten, but some data for which there was no column (like Contact) remained. However, certain fields, like Phone and e-mail, are now showing as blank.

Does Act treat primary contact fields as always existing in a data file and blank them out I the column doesn't exist in a data file?

Administrator

Re: Do primary contact fields get overwritten on import if column doesn't exist?

[ Edited ]

Hi mjmcpe,

This data replacement behaviour is set when you specify your merge options after selecting custom import settings.

For example, If your source file doesn't contain phone numbers, and you import this into your Act database with the contact merge options set to Merge, any existing phone numbers in the database will not be overwritten or changed.

Act!_2016-08-24_12-26-34.png

In the same scenario, if your contact merge options were set to Replace with source contact, then all the data contained in the contact fields in the Act database which are mapped to columns in the spreadsheet, would be replaced with data in the source file.

Act!_2016-08-24_12-26-57.png

Do you remember which option you chose during your import?

Copper Contributor

Re: Do primary contact fields get overwritten on import if column doesn't exist?

I used replace with source contact, but I assumed the only fields that would be overwritten were the ones present in the file. The source material I am using doesn't have phone numbers, but I need the ability to update fields that may already have data in them. I typically do this matching company name and zip code, and was choosing to overwrite the existing data, thinking since the source file doesn't contain a phone number field, it will not overwrite fields not present, which obviously would happen with blank cells in a column labeled for that field.

Administrator

I would not expect data (i.e. phone numbers) to be changed in Act, if the source file does not contain a column for this data, and if a column has not been mapped to this field in Act during the Contact Map stage of the custom import.

Which version of Act are you running?
What columns are you including in your source file?
Copper Contributor

I am running Premium 17.1.

Fields mapped are

Company

Address1

City

State

Zip

County

ID/Status

Then some custom fields related to the report

Make

Model

Year

Qty

And 2 custom fields identifying the branch and salesperson.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Are you able to reproduce the issue on another import with the same source data, or ideally on a backup of the Act database taken prior to the first import?

Please double check the Contact Map stage of the import wizard to ensure that any fields you do not wish to change, are not appearing in the list. Only fields you wish to change should appear in this list.