Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do I need the Corporate version for syncing an offsite computer?

Tuned Listener

Do I need the Corporate version for syncing an offsite computer?

I'm considering adding another sales person who would work at home.  Do I need to buy the Corporate version of ACT and buy a seperate license for this person?  That's a big ticket to swallow and I'd like to be sure this is the only way.  For example, can we sync an offsite computer using PC Anywhere or some other means within the Standard ACT version? 
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Do I need the Corporate version for syncing an offsite computer?

The ability to synchronize a remote database is available when using the Standard version of Act!.  The best way to do this is through the use of a VPN.  Whenever the remote computer is connected to the network via the VPN they will be able to sync. 

Notes about syncing with the Standard version: 

- If you are not already using a remote database with your Standard installation, you may not be aware that the main database (Publisher) must be open to accept the synchronization.  You can sign onto the server, open your database and then lock the screen - this will meet the need to have the database open. 

- Depending on how your VPN is set up, you may have to have operator intervention on the Host and remote workstation ends to initiate/accept the VPN connection.

- With the addition of personnel, be aware that the Standard version of Act! will only allow up to 10 'active' users defined.

Article for setting up Hamachi VPN: How to set up a Hamachi VPN

Article with instructions for creating a remote database: How to Create a Remote Database 

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

i would never recommend the STANDARD version if syncing - possible yes - but not advised since you must leave ACT open on the "server".

IT people do NOT like locking the console at all... 

-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net
Tuned Listener

Where do I learn how what will be required for me to set up a remote user on the corporate version?  I'm not currently literate in what it means to have a 'server'.  I'm a small office with a home network only, and so to facilitate a remote user, will I need to install a 'server' or a VPN?  Where can I learn what changes will be required?

Also, if I do this, can anyone give me a sense of how much this change will disrupt my existing office?  I've found that every time I change something in how our computers work, it costs me days, or sometimes weeks, to get the new system running properly and causes huge disruptions to the office.   Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

The main difference between syncing with the Standard version and the Premium version (Corporate version includes web access): with the Standard version, you are required to have the main database open for the sync to occur.  With the Premium version there are sync services that can be installed to allow the main database to be closed.  They both require that a network connection be in place so that the computers can communicate with each other.

A 'server' can be just about any computer, it is the computer on which the main database resides.  In your situation, the server may be your desktop (or laptop) computer.  You would need to set up the VPN connection so that the remote computer can connect to your computer to allow for the synchronization.

The type of VPN you set up will determine what requirements/changes you need for your computer.  Here is a link for setting up one type of VPN: How to setup a Hamachi VPN

At this point, your version of Act! will allow you to sync with a remote database.  The only thing missing is the network connection and the creation of the remote database (to be placed on the other computer). 

Greg Martin
Sage