Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Disaster and Recovery Drill for ACT! Premium (Web) 2011

Disaster and Recovery Drill for ACT! Premium (Web) 2011

Hi,

I am using ACT! Premium (Web) 2011 and I need to perform a DR Drill in another PC in a closed network using window backup and restore.  However, it shows the following error in the browser after restore:

"The current identity does not have write access to 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.Net Files'.

When I use client to login, it asks me to register the product.....Since my DR PC cannot get into internet, I cannot register the product.  When I try to use trial verion for 30 days, it said that my product is out of 30days trial.  Do anyone know how I can solve this problem?  Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Disaster and Recovery Drill for ACT! Premium (Web) 2011

Why are you trying to restore the temp ASP files?

Besides, Windows Backup won't properly backup much, including the database

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply!! 

I didn't try to restore the temp ASP file.  I just restored the full window backup and got that error.  Is the error coming from haven't registered the ACT in my DR site?

For the window backup, I did stop the ACT and SqlServer Service and did the cold backup from the whole window.  I think it would be easier to restore all the files and other programs in the production site.  Any idea to easily fix this to complete my DR Drill?  Thanks a lot. 

Cheers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The problem with restoring a full system backup to another machine is that most licenses (including Windows and ACT! are activated for the machine.

Best to automate a clean install of Windows, restore the profiles, then a silent install of ACT! (plus updates) and then restore the database.
Silver Contributor

Agree with Mike,

best practice for disaster recovery would be to set up a sync database in another location.  And to do nightly ACT backups. They you have two working backups. Then in the event of disaster, create a new machine, load ACT from Scratch and restore the backups.  Much more reliable.  If you're not comfortable with that, consider running through it with an ACT consultant.  Being prepared would be money well spent.

Another idea would be to sync your master database to a hosting provider.  They if you loose the entire facility, you are back up immediately with only a different URL.

Let me know if you have questions, happy to talk.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider