Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Disapearing Attachments

Copper Contributor

Disapearing Attachments

We have an apparent "random" disappearance of attachments.  We attach a file to a contact and it is saved in the attachment directory.  At what appears to be a random event, some of the attachments will show in the documents window with a 0 in file size.  When you click on one you are infomed the file can not be found.  If the doc is reattached it will stay.

We are running ACT! 2008 10.0.1 with approximately 42 users of which about half are remote databases.

We have checked the virus scan software but it is not removing files from what we can see.  I talked to support last week but not much help.  Is anyone else finding this issue?

Continued success,
Larry

P.S. Nice to find this forum.  The User Discussion Groups forum software is very clunky to work with plus there are a lot of users who don't seem to know how to read a manual on that forum.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Disapearing Attachments

Does this seem to happen with files attached from a particular user?
Does it seem to happen for Remote or LAN users?
Copper Contributor

Mike,

I wish I could pin it down to a user or a configuration.  However, I am unable to find the common thread.  Most of the files have disappeard from contacts managed by remote users, however, half the users are remote and only two are serious file attachers.  The guys can reattach the same file and it seems to stick the second time.  It isn't happening to a specific file type, or a specific user, or on certain days.  It has defied characterizing and remains random (however we all know random isn't in computers, right??!!??)

Continued success,
Larry

"Intermittant" is the term used for "random" issues.

When you find the 0-byte files, is that at the time they attach it or later? Might be worth looking at the sync logs to see if the sync is having an issue.
Copper Contributor

Mike,

They attach the file and sync.  All appears to work fine.  I sync and the file is now in my database.  Sometime later the file will appear to hvae 0 kbytes and if any of us try to open it, there is no file there.  It is gone and it appears the same in all the sync sets or if I log onto the server directly.

I have not seen anything unusual in the sync logs but there is a lot of data there to review.  I could be missing something.

Continued success,
Larry

I can only think that one user has wrong security settings on their supplemental files folder.

See these ACT! knowledge Base articles;

I am having the same problem as above, In fact with this site I have had the same problem for 2 1/2 years.

From the top.

The customer only has 10 users 5 of these are remote users who sync on a daily basis. They mainly use ACT! for collecting their data and hence the attachment folder is 1.9Gb. recently we have created them a completely fresh database and then recreated all the remotes. The database version is the latest ACT 2008 premium build. 10.0.2.91 I believe. The server version is ACT prem for Web, same version and all clients are prem.

So we created these now this is where the first problem comes in that the sync databases take an age to build with the attachments however if we select to have the attachments not sync'ing then the history cannot be opened and no new attachments will be sync'd accross. I have heard something about offline files being able to help with this, please can someone share any light on this? and how off line files can be used.

What we did is copy the attachments to a different location and hence have a blank attachments folder. create the sync sets and remotes and copy over to client machines, all done remotely so time is a massive factor! then copy the attachments back into the main database and copy attachments to clients, the clients are set to sync attachments and supp files. this allows all the attachments across, please note there has been no sync's done yet.

we then have a look at the database and run the ACTdiag! report on missing attachments and there are only 5 missing, so we then run our first sync, doesnt matter what user account it is. and we get the message sync completed, check the logs all looks ok, then run the ACTdiag! missing attachment report again and find we have 3654 attachments missing!

someone please help me on this! I cant seem to work out why and what is happening, does ACT have a size limit on the size of the attachment folder?

any ideas please email me.

Did you try the two links I posted above?

Also a repair (including schema) with ACT!DIAG on each of the databases?

Have you also tried Hotfix 1 as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4oktpu

Note: It needs to be run on ALL systems connected to the database - server, LAN and sync

Copper Contributor

This may be fixed.  We installed ACT! on a new server and moved the databases.  We have not see a problem since then but because the issue appeared to be random, it will be some time before we can say with confidence it has gone away.

Continued success,

Larry

Tuned Listener

I have now upgraded to 10.0.3, besides the fact that my product code does not work anymore (I have to use it in trial version gagain), it does not fix the attachement problem. It still states that the documebnt is whether miising, or attached by a database which does not support syncing.