Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Disable or Delete Database Remotely

Astute Commentator

Disable or Delete Database Remotely

Is there a way to unilaterally disable a user's access to a database remotely, or better yet to delete a remote database remotely?

I don't need to do this at this time, but I'd like to have the ability to disable access or delete the remote database of a user should we terminate a working relationship with them, and not worry they'll continue to have access to client data.

I understand I could likely get the solution I want by simply limiting to web based access, however I generally prefer the remote database solution over the web based access, simply for the speed of the process and larger feature set.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Disable or Delete Database Remotely

Some companies usually sign a confidentiality agreement with users, the business information of the company should not be used outside of the permitted work parameters or after the employment relationship has ended.

The remote database can be disabled on the server, so that the next synchronization is blocked on the remote user's computer

1. Open the Publisher database.
  2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Synchronization Panel.
  3. Click Manage Database from the User Tasks box.

Disable Sync
Before you can Delete a database or disable Synchronization from the Parent database you must Disable Sync for the Remote database. Use the following steps to Disable Sync for a Remote database:

1. Click the Remote database from the right pane that you wish to disable sync for, and then click Disable Sync from the Admin Tasks box.
  2. Click Yes. The following Act! information dialog box appears:
  3. Click Yes to allow one last synchronization before disabling, or No to disable now.

The issue is ... if the person does not synchronize again their database will be able to have unlimited access to this information ... then... in that case the best way to manage security is...  that users work by web and mobile

I do not recommend removing the user, it is important to keep the story, it is better to inactivate

If you need to change a user from Activate  to Inactive (or vice versa), follow the steps below

1. Click Tools > Manage Users.
  2. In the Select a User window, double-click the User that you want to change.
  3. Click Next in the Edit User Information window.
  4. In the Specify Access window, select to make the User Active or Inactive.
  5. Click Finish.

In user administration, you may not want users to be able to export the information to EXCEL or delete records

1. Click Tools > Manage Users.
  2. In the Select a User window, double-click the User that you want to change.
  3. Under Manage User Tasks, click Add Permissions

Additionally, custom permissions may be granted by the Administrator to Manager and Standard users to allow them to perform additional tasks within Act!. These custom permissions are:

• Accounting link tasks - Allows the user to install and use an Accounting/back-office link.
  • Handheld device sync - Allows the user to synchronize Act! with handheld devices.
  • Remote administration - Allows the user to back up, restore, and check and repair a remote database they belong to.
  • Manage Sync Subscription List (ACT! by Sage 2009 and higher) - Lets a remote database user add and remove contacts from their sync set
  • Export to Excel® - Allows the user to export data in a list view to Excel. (Premium versions only)
  • Delete records (Premium versions only) - Allows the user to delete contacts, companies, groups, activity series, notes, histories, opportunities, and secondary contacts the user owns.
  • Emarketing Web to Lead (v18)- Allows a standard user to use Web Leads as if they were an Administrator
  • Emarketing Lead Capture (v19 and later)- Allows a standard user to use Web Leads as if they were an Administrator
  • Emarketing Administration (v18 and later) - Allows a standard User to administrate and use Act! emarketing as if they were an Administrator
  • Emarketing Send (v18.2 and later) - Allows the user to send emails using Act! emarketing
  • Web API Access (Act! Premium and Premium (access via web) v18.2 and later) - Allows the user to use the Act! Premium Web API and Act! Connect Link
Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Bronze Super Contributor

I would also suggest changing the user's password so that they can't log in after the next time they sync.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Astute Commentator

Thanks for the details. Glad to know there is a solution. I can understand why a sync is required, though I understand why it is necessary.

We have a confidentiality and data use agreement with our team, however I prefer to prevent issues where possible rather than litigate them. Far less expensive on all sides.

Will have to think about how to make this all work best.

Thanks again for the input.