Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Design Question- potential use of Companies, Groups, other

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Design Question- potential use of Companies, Groups, other

I am using ACT Premium 17 with Microsoft Office 13 Home and Business.  Currently the database is stored on my hard drive, but I save my attachments to the network.  It's a Windows 7 Operating System.

I work for a design company providing a financial service to clients, as well as tracking project documentation.  It's been awhile since I used ACT and I have probably designed it incorrectly or haven't selected the right settings.  Let's say I have a client...ABC Company.  In ABC Company, I have 1 contact who handles 10 projects.  It seems like no matter whether I duplicate the contact record, use companies or groups, when I attach a file to 1 project, it replicates to all the other projects.  Same with E-mail.  Each Project is a standalone project and documentation should be kept separately.  I have deselected attaching notes and histories under company preferences.

What can I do to correct this?

Also, I periodically get an error message due to the Add-Ins and word about Normal.dot being corrupted.  Suggestions on correcting this would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dhysell@kgadeforest.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Design Question- potential use of Companies, Groups, other

As I suspected, the original problem you described resulted from the database design. Companies wouldn't be a good choice to use for the projects. Using groups for the projects would be one possibility and in some cases might be a good solution. Using opportunities for projects would be another option but unless the project really fits the model of a sales opportunity, I would not suggest that. I suspect that adding a custom one-to-many table to the database would be the best choice. The ACT! program has the capability for custom tables but doesn't provide the user interface for design an management. For that a third party addon is required.

For more information you can contact me direct.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

You refer to projectsm are these in ACT! and if so how are you setting up the projects?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I added fields for project #, project name, contractor, etc.  The projects can also be divided into sections with the same contact name and project #.  The project name and contractor would be the differing fields 90% of the time.  However, I do have some files that use the same project name and number, but different contractors.  I do believe the organization is moving away from using the same project number, but until these run out.....

Are you thinking I should have set the Project Name up as a Company and then add contacts from there?  I tried adding the Company (ABC Company) and then projects as divisions, but that didn't work. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author dhysell@kgadeforest.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

As I suspected, the original problem you described resulted from the database design. Companies wouldn't be a good choice to use for the projects. Using groups for the projects would be one possibility and in some cases might be a good solution. Using opportunities for projects would be another option but unless the project really fits the model of a sales opportunity, I would not suggest that. I suspect that adding a custom one-to-many table to the database would be the best choice. The ACT! program has the capability for custom tables but doesn't provide the user interface for design an management. For that a third party addon is required.

For more information you can contact me direct.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, I suspected the same as well.  I appreciate your help.  I may take a look at Groups, before I go outside to an add on.

Regards,

Debbe