Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Design Layouts, Define Fields, Object Reference Error Message

Design Layouts, Define Fields, Object Reference Error Message

I came from Act 6.0 to Act. 2009.  I've run into a few problems.  I created my database which went fine. I need to create a copy of the database everytime I have a new deal because I plug in dates in the user fields for my reports which are different for each deal and groups will not work.  I copied my first database and created a new layout and changed the first 3 user fields. The only problem I run into is that an error message shows up saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I can't locate in help anywhere what this means and how to fix.

I copied the layout I created for this deal into my main database and into a third database I created.  I went into Tools, Define Fields, and changed User 1, 2 and 3 fields.  Now I cannot get into the Design Layout feature in either layout and keep getting the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message and the user fields I created are now greyed out and I can't type in them.

Help.  Thank you.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Design Layouts, Define Fields, Object Reference Error Message

Hi Deb,

I am assuming that you converted your ACT! 6 database to version 2009, Is this issue occurring in the converted database?

Have you tried opening the ACT11 demo and creating new fields and then modifying the layout? Do you get the same errors?

Kurt

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005

Hi Kurt,

I just tried the demo, and when I changed the layout and saved, I got the "Object Reference Not Set to an instance of an object" message.  What is this message and how do I fix?

I tried going back to my database and I cannot even get into Design Layout and the fields I created are greyed out and I can't even type in them.  Does not locking the database have anything to do with it?  Since we can't share the database, I am the only user.  Could I have lost admin rights and I can't get in to make changes?

Meanwhile, I just type the information I need in the User 1, User 2 and User 3 fields with labeling them what I want so I can at least run my reports.

Copper Elite Contributor

HI Deb,

Click on the link below, it will take you to the online knowledge base, click on the link that talks about saving your layouts, and follow the steps there, looks like you may need to set your DPI's back to normal, you may have them set to large (120 DPI)

http://tinyurl.com/ngxgjo

If this doesn't help just post back here and I will see what else I can do for you

Kurt

Kurt Rosemann

Thanks.  I'll try this.
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Deb,

Did the kb help solve your problem?

Kurt

Kurt Rosemann

Hi Kurt,

It seems that I am unable to copy a layout from one database to another in 2009. I was able to do in version 6. I just did a test where I made a copy of my database with the layouts how I want and it copies over.  I still get the "object reference" error when I go to exit out of Design Layout even though my dpi is set at normal (96 dpi). I when through and cleared the preferences, etc., from the link you sent.  I'll keep searching to see if there is a solution. Otherwise, I at least have a quick fix.  Thanks for your help.

Deb

Nickel Contributor

Hi Deb - you can copy layouts between databases. The layouts are stored DatabaseName-database files folder in a sub-folder called, "layout". You can copy and paste these between the different databases you have.
Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

When I copy the layout, it does not work in the new database I create.  The fields for some reason grey out and I can't even type in them. Not sure why.
Nickel Contributor

The layout just defines where fields / text go on the screen. It does not define the fields that are present in the database.

So, if you copy a layout from a database that has a field called "Products" into a database that does not contain the "Products" field, it will be greyed out. You need to create the field in the database - Tools -> Define Fields.

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk