Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deploying ACT! Premium 2008 for Web on a Local Network

Deploying ACT! Premium 2008 for Web on a Local Network

I just purchased 8 licenses for ACT! Premium 2008 for Web from a licensed distributor and I have come to a standstill where I cannot even use the thousands of dollars in software that I bought.  I bought ACT! because I wanted a robust replacement for an Access database that we merely posted on a Filing Sharing folder over our Local Network (via My Network Places).  Obviously, ACT! provides much more than my simple Access database, but I was told by the person that sold it to me that I could deploy it on our local network again just by simply saving the database to the File Sharing folder on our Local Network. 

So obviously the salesperson was lying to me because now I have all these licenses of ACT! and none of the other computers in our Local Network can open the database file.  I have no idea where to go with this and I this salesperson has ruined the image of ACT! in my head. If someone here knows anything about how to deploy ACT! over a local network... that would be great.  I just need a simple solution that will allow my users to access and make quick changes to my database. 

I am currently hosting the main database on my main workstation (Windows XP Professional SP2, 1 GB RAM, 200GB SATA drive with RAID-drives, SQL Express 2005, .NET Framework 2.0, and Internet Information Services (IIS) active.  The other computers on our network are using Windows XP Professional XP2, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB disks, SQL Express 2005, .NET Framework 2.0, and IIS also.

I ran ACT! using the website management function and successfully tested the virtual network and user account with .NET and pulled up a cool test log-in page in Internet Explorer as part of the test.  But I can't figure out how to give other computers access to the database using that method.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Deploying ACT! Premium 2008 for Web on a Local Network

If I read what you are trying to do correct, all your users will access ACT! 2008 via the LAN and that none are remote uses connecting to the ACT! database via the internet. If so, the directions you received about sharing the database would be correct for ACT! 2008 Premium but not for the WEB version. If that is so, then SAGE has a 60-day return policy and you would be able to return your ACT! for the WEB licenses and replace them with ACT! 2008 Premium, the license price would be the same.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deploying ACT! Premium 2008 for Web on a Local Network

loganwhitaker wrote:

I just purchased 8 licenses for ACT! Premium 2008 for Web from a licensed distributor and I have come to a standstill where I cannot even use the thousands of dollars in software that I bought.  I bought ACT! because I wanted a robust replacement for an Access database that we merely posted on a Filing Sharing folder over our Local Network (via My Network Places).  Obviously, ACT! provides much more than my simple Access database, but I was told by the person that sold it to me that I could deploy it on our local network again just by simply saving the database to the File Sharing folder on our Local Network. 

Well, that's wrong... any SQL database requires an application to be running on the server as well.

I ran ACT! using the website management function and successfully tested the virtual network and user account with .NET and pulled up a cool test log-in page in Internet Explorer as part of the test.  But I can't figure out how to give other computers access to the database using that method.

Have them bring up Internet Explorer and go to (something like): http://theactservermachinename/apfw