Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting the hidden files from a Database??

Deleting the hidden files from a Database??

I went to my folder where I kept my Databases.  I had a Database named Inbound.  I deleted the folder named Inbound-database files, Inbound.ADF, Inbound ALF and  Inbound.pad by dragging them to my Recycle Bin and dumping the bin. 

I then went back to my original Database and tried to Make another Database named Inbound but I get an error stating that I already have a database by that name.  Does anybody know where there might be some hidden files elsewhere that I need to dump?

Todd

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting the hidden files from a Database??

Thank you but this didn't work.  When I went to the run box and put in actdiag, a box comes up that says:

ACT!Diag (including any software and related documentation) is provided "AS IS".  SAGE SOFTWARE, INC DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THE UTILITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I clicked ok then another box comes up that says:

Could not connect to the SQL Server Instance

Click Yes to continue anyway, No to restart ActDiag, Cancel to close.

I click on Yes and a Diagnostics box comes up but it only has the

words Server & Databases. There are no rectangles of information in

the box.

My IT guy here tried to help.  He went into the SQL or something and it shows that I 

Physically deleted the database that I wanted to.  He says therefore the method above

won't work.

So, is there something that I need to do with the SQL in order to get rid of any hidden

files from the database that I want to delete?

Platinum Elite Contributor

When you deleted the database files by dumping them in the recycle bins, you only deleted the physical files, not the connection the SQL Server. That's why you got the error, because SQL still has a connection named "Inbound" so it could not create another by the same name. Try stopping and restarting the SQL Server (ACT7) service from the services list (Start/Run...type services.msc) and see if you can create the database.

Going forward, the easiest way to delete an ACT! database is to open the database in ACT! and go to Tools/Database Maintenance/Delete Database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg,

By now, because of this problem, I now know how to delete the Databases the proper way.

However, when I just tried what you said, if I keep the SQL (Server) ACT7 off while trying to 

restore the database to the same name, I get an error that has a lot of information.  I can't seem

to attach a screen shot here but if you send me your email address, I can email you

the screen shot of the error.

Anyways, if I turn the SQL (Server) ACT7 back on, I get the same error stating that

I already have a file by that name, use another name.

Thanks,

Todd