Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting multiple companies at once

Deleting multiple companies at once

During the setup process for my new act database I ended up with 6,400 duplicate companies how do I delete them all? I have given all of them an ID status of duplicate so they are easy to lookup/group.

Thank you for your help!

-Mead

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting multiple companies at once

Here is another add-on you may to look at as well - simple to use: http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/hero-company-deleter.asp

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you for the info, it seems really bazaar to me that you can't highlight a number of companies and delete them all. I've come to the conclusion that ACT is a racket, there are so many functions that seem simple but that it's can't/won't do so that you have to spend more+ money on addons.

The theory behind the addons (at the beginning) was the most users use less than 20% of the product's functionality - this is true of most mass-market products.

So rather than build every feature into the product (and charge a price commensurate with that), the vendor would build the core product to be as bullet-proof as possible, with power and flexibility for most and with a powerful SDK. Then addon vendors would build functions that users could buy to best fit the needs of their intended solution.

Sadly, Sage management's decision to change to an annual upgrade cycle has forced them to focus R&D on adding functions that they can put in a press-release (even if they're not designed well enough to be used) rather than improving core functions that users would really benefit from

EG: Smart Tasks (which don't go far enough to be really usable) looks better on a press release than the ability to mass-delete a Company Lookup

I posted a detailed set of the features in the past few versions that demonstrate this here: http://lnkd.in/dWn-aM
Copper Contributor

I hear you when you say its a racket....  I just did an import, didn't check the source because I thought it was good and now I have 26k worth of bogus info for companies....  What am I suppose to do.  Delete each one - one by one?

You didn't do a safety backup before you did a large import? That's the real protection against a problem like that. If you had you could simply restore the backup and you could try the import again.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Another prize example of users thinking they know it all and won't invest in a consultant who would have done the backup before any import!

Ah well - I guess that Act! will get blamed again for allowing this to happen.

Happy days....

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

BTW: A similar discussion on this here: http://lnkd.in/cypWjR

I feel confident that Act!'s new owners have been listening and that top priority for the future builds is addressing a number of the common annoyances that create user pain