Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting User but saving history

Copper Contributor

Deleting User but saving history

Is there a way to delete a user WITHOUT reassigning their history?

We have several instances where we have terminated employees with extensive histories (opportunities, notes, etc) in the database that we do not want to lose. However, we do not want the histories assigned to other employees either as it sort of defeats the purpose and can cause issues.

Example:

SP1 is terminated after 18 months and replaced by SP2. The only options seem to be to delete SP1 and all notes, contacts, history, etc...or reassign them to SP2. However, we need to have the record of SP1's activity for legal purposes. We still want SP1 contact deleted from the database. This is especially important for reps we have in the field. We want the contacts reassigned, but the history to reflect whoever ACTUALLY made the note, opp, etc.

So far, this seems to be impossible.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting User but saving history

Don't delete them, make them inactive. That frees up their license for  reassignment.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

The issue isn't licenses, we want the names extracted from the database itself.

You can't do that and retain their record manager information on Notes, History, etc. The record manager field actually contains the unique ID of the record managers My record, it displays the name from the My record. If the user record is deleted so is the unique ID and anything belonging to that record manager must be reassigned or deleted.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I guess that should end up a suggestion for future releases then to tie the idenifier to the USER and not the MY RECORD. Must be a nightmare if you have a lot of turnover.

Thanks.

You certainly can make a feature request for that. However, ACT! has functioned that way since ACTWIN2 so it would be a significant change.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129