Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting User - Very Strange Outcome

Deleting User - Very Strange Outcome

Hi All - Premium 2012 14.1.108.0

So I added a new user account for a new sales rep here.  Then I wanted to give them all of the leads from a rep who is no longer with the company.  I made the accounts public first then I went to delete account for the rep that is no longer here.  It was just fine and it asked me if I wanted to move those accounts to someone else and I choose the new sales rep and it worked just fine.

NOW for the catch - random accounts from various reps had the record manager changed for the notes on the account to that new sales rep that I had just created and give accounts to.  I was able to restore from a backup, but now I am wary to do this again.  I have done this same process before with no issues and I run maint on the database every night.  Has anyone ever seen this and do you have any ideas?  Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting User - Very Strange Outcome

Hello jharris,
When choose to reassign the records of deleted user to another user, all records where the deleted user is the Record Manager will make the new user the Record Manager. This includes notes and histories that the deleted user created and was the record manager of. So if the deleted user created a note in another rep's contact, he would be the RM, so that Note would now be assigned to the new user.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Working as designed. Every record in the database hase a record manager, every contact, company, history, note, etc. When you deleted the old user and reassigned their records to the new user, everything got moved. This is unchanged since ACT! 3.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I understand how that works and have done it before.  The strange part is that when I was working with just 2 user accounts all of a sudden more then 4 user accounts had the notes change the record manager on them.  That is what I don't understand.

Did those changed Notes and Histories have a deleted user as the Record Manager?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No.  The new record manager for the notes was the new user that I had just created and whom I had transferred the accounts to.  It makes absolutely no sense to me how and why this would happen.

The only way I can see that happening is if the notes and histories were assigned to user that was deleted and had those records reassigned to this new user. The manager a note or history record can be different than the manager of the contact those notes/histories belong to. The only way you can be sure is to restore a backup of the database prior to reassigning the records and see who the record manager was for those notes/histories (use Restore As to restore the backup as a different database).

Greig Hollister