Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleting Contacts Freezes Up Computer

Deleting Contacts Freezes Up Computer

I am in the process of exporting contacts into a different database.  After that is done I'm going back to the main database to delete the contacts.  When I try to select a group to delete, after 5-15 odd minutes, the hourglass is still going so I ctr+alt+del and discover that the program is not resonding.  Usually some have deleted, but a small percentage.  It has taken me 4 hours to delete 500 contacts with all the reboots and whatnot.  I probably need to delete about 10,000 or more.  There has to be a better more efficient way to do this.  Please help!

I'm using 10.0.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Deleting Contacts Freezes Up Computer

With all due respect you appear to be under misunderstanding that Not Responding always means Not Working. More often the program is busy and ignoring the request from Windows. Programs are permitted to do this. 10,000 contact records is a huge number of records to delete because it involves not only the contact records themselves but any additional note, history, activity, and opportunity records. My best advice, start it running at the end of the day and let it run overnight.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I was not trying to do 10,000 at once.  I was doing each group at a time with anywhere from a couple hundred to no more than 1000 contacts.  After 15 minutes I wasn't sure if it was working or not... I didn't know how long to let it 'think'.  Even when I was just doing 47 contacts at a time, it took over 3 minutes, which just seemed like a lot of time.  I just didn't know if this was the norm or not.
Copper Super Contributor

It takes me about 45 to 60 minutes to delete 100 contacts. The only time I've tried to delete 5 or 10k contacts I let it run for the entire weekend. By Monday, it had finished, though I don't know what day it finished the work.

In a situation like that, you can pull up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab. Look for Act*.exe (where * is your version number) and sqlservr.exe. As long as you see the CPU and Mem Usage numbers moving, it's still processing.

Thanks.  It helps to know this is the norm.  My PC can be very slow at times, so I didn't know if it was an ACT thing or me.  Guess I will see if I can get the rest exported to the new databse before I leave tonight so that I am able to delete over the weekend.  I was trying to export, then delete... each group as I went... but I guess I need to hurry up with the export. 

Thanks again.
Platinum Elite Contributor

If there are lots of sub-items (notes, histories, activities, sales ops, groups, companies, etc)... it's a lot of data to update

The speed of the hard disk will make a lot of difference.

Try doing a Compress/Reindex or ACTDIAG repair first. Also try doing a Windows defrag and drive cleanup