Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleted contacts still in database

Deleted contacts still in database

One of our users cleaned up over 1,000 contacts, deleting them from the database. If we do a lookup for the deleted contacts, they do not show in ACT. However, if I go into the database via SQL Server, the records are still in the contacts table. We are trying to get a clean export of just the needed contacts and instead are getting every contact record in the database. Any suggestions as to how we can purge the deleted records? We are using ACT 12 (2010).

Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Re: Deleted contacts still in database

Why not just export via ACT or export to excel?  If you need to go in though another way, i'd look for a flagged field denoting the contact is deleted and filter by that.

The fact that they are there is news to me.... Also, sugest you do maintenance on the database and see if that cleans them out.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Doug,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Not sure if you did this, but as a best practice you should run maintenance on the database after adding, changing or deleting large amounts of data. Recommended is to go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair. Run both options and run this function twice in a row.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I had previously ran the database maintenance, but only once. I reran twice and the deleted records are still in the database. Thanks for the suggestion.

[ Edited ]

We are moving to another software and just want a clean database to start with. We are using Exporter from JL Technical as it will export all notes, etc. I'm only viewing via SQL to verify the data. I've searched the database, but cannot find any fields that would indicate a deleted record. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just a thought ... has the database ever been setup for sync? Maybe kept till all syncs done?

Or maybe, because so many potential links to other tables, the coders didn't wnat to risk getting it wrong and leaving orphan data?

Try, in the demo or a new DB, creating a test record, saving it, deleting it and then looking for in with SQL?

Try creating a new database - File | Save | Save Empty Copy
Then import your database and see if it brings them?