Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleted Contacts and retrieving from Backup Database

Deleted Contacts and retrieving from Backup Database

We found an opportunity that did not have a contact.  Weird!  We've seen this before and apparently when a contact is deleted, that doesn't mean the opportunity associated with that contact is deleted as well.  Strange.  So, today this same thing happened and with a little bit more investigative work, we found that about 20 contacts with this same name "Payne" were deleted by one user, according to the history under that user, on 19 August 2013.  The user is unaware of doing this and we know he would not do this.

We've already printed a list of the ones that have been deleted so we can look them up.  I would think that it would be easy to open a backup database and retrieve these files.  AT LEAST, to be able to retrieve the information and recreate the contacts if need be.

I have the SAGE ACT! QuickStudy and have read the ...Restore a databse backup.  My concern is the part that says, "Click YES to acknowledge that newer files may be overwritten by any older files in the backup file."  NOOOO, all I want to do is VIEW an older database WITHOUT overwriting the new one.  Is that what the "Restore As" is for.  If I do a restore as, the current database won't be overwritten, right?  I just want to be sure.  This is three days of data we are talking about and even if the last backup was done last night we'll loose everything from today :/.

Your help is very much appreciated!  Thank you so much!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Deleted Contacts and retrieving from Backup Database

Starting with ACT! 2010 the oppertunities were made a primary entity and as such oppertunities can be created without being connected to a contact.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

do a restore as, and you'll be fine.  I promise it won't over write your existing database.

I would even recommend you restore to a fold that you know you are going to delete at a later time, such as c:\deleteme :-)

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Mark, thank you for your assurance.  That's what I needed Smiley Happy.  I'll give this a go this afternoon and report back.  Thanks again!! Cara

Hi Roy, I figured as much since we have often found opportunities without contacts.  In Dec 2011 we upgraded from ACT 2000 to ACT 2011.  Believe, it was a huge transition, esp getting used to the contacts and opportunities being seperated entities.  Thank you for your reply to confirm that Smiley Wink

Cara

Platinum Elite Contributor

There is still a good reason to connect the oppertunities to contacts, If they aren't they won't be included in ACT! reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Mark, this worked like a charm, thank you so much!  Is there an easy way to export information from the old database and import into the new or will we need to recreate the contacts?  Also, can you connect a contact to an exsisting opportunity that doesn't have a contact?  Thanks so much again.