Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Delete User but wanna keep them as reference?

Avid Listener

Delete User but wanna keep them as reference?

Hi,

Im wondering is it possible to delete a user but still keep all the things they touched still referenced to them?

I know I can reassign there records and keep them as a contact but  still doesnt keep a history that they originally created the contact.

If I just reasign it can be prolematic because we would assume the new person we assigned added all the contacts to the database and that would be inaccurate.

-Paul

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Delete User but wanna keep them as reference?

[ Edited ]

Hello Paul,

When you a delete a user and reassign their records, this will change the Record Manager of all that users contacts and records. However, that user (even though they have been deleted) will still display as the Record Creator of those contacts and records. The Record Creator is a system value that cannot be changed, even when the user is deleted.

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-16-2010 05:42 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

I so wish Sage will finally get the user record manager association removed as a link back to a table.  That's what causes the Record Manager to change to some other name.  That defeats the purpose of keeping track of who said what/when/where.  I've submitted this as a request for a long time.  Hopefully, if enough people say "huh, why do you do it this way" it might change.  All that has to happen is the Record manager name gets copied over into a column on the table as a permanent thing, instead of a pointer back to a table.  Yes, it will put a few more text characters in the database.  No problemo.  Much better than having every user name ever created in an ACT database showing for perpetuity.  Thisi usually isn't a problem when it's 5 or 6 users.  However, I have a client with over 100 active users and over 30 users long gone.  Pain in the neck to move thru lists on Calendars, etc.  One trick we do, BTW, is put an X in front of the username when they have been inactivated.  That way you can at least sort the name to the bottom.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Avid Listener

The scenario we are most concerned about is when an employee leaves and we remove them and reassign there contacts we lose all there history.  And the new contact looks like they are responisble for making all those calls and activities etc.  Imediately its NOT a problem but when time goes by and the history is a few years old the reassigned user isnt going to remember if the history is true or, if he or she spoke to  this person regarding something.  It really is more of an issue of accountability and we want the right people responsible for what they actually did.  Does anyone have insight on this?

-Paul

Paul,

The Record Manager field is dynamic and will change when records are reassigned or of the contact name of the user is changed. The Record Creator (contacts, groups, companies, opportunities) or Created By (activities, history, notes) fields are the only fields that will remain constant regardless of whether the user is deleted or their records reassigned, so this is the field you would have to use to maintain history for deleted users. The would not be effective in the event that the record was created by another user and then assigned to the deleted user. Another option would be to make a backup or copy of the database prior to deleting the user and use that as an archive.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Simply make the old user inactive but not delete the user account. That will retain the correct record manager information and free up the license for a new user. A tip that I suggest, change the old users user name to add an X or Z to the start of the user name and their name in their MY record to flag them as an old user. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Excellen workaround, Roy. We use that workaround for some years now. The problem with this workaround that all this information regarding old users is continously carried around in all kinds of reports and other screens where users are being mentioned.

We HIGHLY support the idea that one should be able to switch users from active to non-active AND to be able to have an option set whether the user should still pop up in all kinds of user-oriented screens Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'
Copper Contributor

Agree as well.

We've been burned a couple of times by the "delete/reassign" before we knew what hit us.

When a user got blamed for something that happened before he was even employed, we had to find another way.

So right now, we have a dozen or so inactive users but the option to delete them while retaining their histories would be a welcome addition.