Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Define New Field that Pulls Data from 3 Other Fields

Astute Commentator

Define New Field that Pulls Data from 3 Other Fields

Hello,

My goal is to create one field in ACT that combines data from three other fields (City, State, and Zip) so that when I export contact info to excel, the City,State,Zip are contained in one column.

Sort of like the opposite of the Contact field, which lends it's data to three "invisible" fields (First Name, Middle Name, Last Name).  My CityStateZip field (doesn't have to be visible on the Layout) would pull data from the three fields. Ideally with a comma between city and state.

Any ideas? I've searched a lot in the community forums but haven't found an answer yet.

I have ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.

Thanks!

Employee

Re: Define New Field that Pulls Data from 3 Other Fields

You wouldn't be able to accomplish this within the application, it'd require an add-on product , I'm not sure however if any existing products would do this. Behind the scenes the add-ons that do field calculations are doing this, except with numbers typically instead of strings.

If no one responds here with an add-on or offer to create this for you, then you could try posting a request for someone to create it in the developers community.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a couple options:

1. in ACT: an addon called Copy Fields Contents ($89) - now hosted by CornerStone Solutions - http://www.cornerstonesolutions.com/actaddons/copy_fields_contents.html

2. "sort of" in ACT: Advanced Excel Templates by Exponenciel.  The reason this is sort of in ACT is that the merging would be done in the Excel template during the export. ($69)  However, I'm not 100% certain this addon merges addresses - there was another addon I cannot find called ACT2XL that did this perfectly.

3. in Excel: record a Macro, or better yet add some VB Script that will do this at a push of a button ($0, just your time)

My guess is option #1 will be the easiest and best option for what you want...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

Just a thought. If you export to Excel and then use the concatenate feature it will do what you ask - and its free.

Astute Commentator

Thanks for the ideas!

I created a macro in excel that used concatenate for the citystatezip as well as some other re-formatting that I ended up needing.