Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database purge: tips?

Database purge: tips?

[ Edited ]

Hello, this is my first post.

My boss wanted me to the following with ACT,

I need to purge contacts no one has had contact with in two years, excluding employees and Vendors.

We have a group for vendors, and no group for vendors... I don't see anything that labels any vendor as one.

I've got a book that tells me how to do advanced queries, but the problem is that they don't tell me which of the many options are best, and I guess I just don't understand how the system works Because I can't get the search to filter out say... 700 days.

Is there any thing you guys can recommend to help me out?  Oh, this is ACT 2010 Premium.

Also, any site that can teach me how to use act, preferably free? 

Any help is very much appreciated.  Right now, I think the best thing I can do is do a activity look up, mass select our company, omit them, and then find vendors and omit them as well, and as I omit them, I tag them as vendors.

EDIT:  Found the Vendor StatusID and it has some of the vendors.  I'll do what I can with that, but I still can't figure out how to best approach this.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Database purge: tips?

Hello Gmn871,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Before you start purging any data - Make A Backup!  Do this through File > Backup > Database.  Just in case you remove data that you might later need.

It would be very hard to tell you how to identify the data to remove without being familiar with how your data is structured (or un-structured).  It sounds like you have found a work-able way to isolate it.

Under the Help menu, there are Feature Tours that can help learn the basic functionality of Sage ACT! (and they are free).  You can also find many 'How-To' articles in our Knowledgebase.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg! I found a work around for what I need, which is:

I used Contact Activity to filter out who we've talked to in the last two years, then I made these people a group. But now, I'm having an issue because I'm trying to create group qualifications, saying that a contact cannot be in the group if they're in my company or a vendor, but it will not remove these people from the group automatically.

Any suggestions?

Glad to hear you found a process that works!

If you created the Group and the contacts are added as Static members, they will not be removed by the Dynamic criteria. You would need to manually remove them from the Static section.
Greg Martin
Sage

Okay, that helps.

What search term can I use to get results similar to what I'm looking for?

How can I search inside a group using an advanced query?

What is the best way to remove people from a group using your program?

I've tried the best way I can think of, where you sort by status/ID and company and tried to exclude people that way, but It doesn't seem like I can.  My issue still stands and I cannot figure this out.

Advanced Query and Search on Keywords are designed to search all contacts, you can't designate within a Group.

You may already be aware, and it may or may not help, but...  You can right click on a Group name and select 'Create Lookup.  With the Contact List populated by only members of the Group, you can then sort by columns or further narrow the list by performing a Lookup and using the 'For the current lookup:' option 'Narrow Lookup'.

Removing contacts from a Group will either be by updating the Static member list, or changing the contact(s) to no longer match the Dynamic Criteria.  These are available on the Group Detail screen > select Contacts tab > click 'Add/Remove Contacts'.

Greg Martin
Sage

I think that will help, thanks very much.

Copper Super Contributor

Another idea that may reduce the clicks is to create a lookup from the group, then use the list view sort, highlight and remove the contacts do you not want in the group; but then create a NEW group from that lookup.  When creating a new group and adding contacts,  you can  pick them them ALL from the Current Group.  (note: All contacts is the default. You have to change it to Current lookup each time you need it)

You can select all from the Current Lookup with one click on the ">>" 

The main point is that it is a lot easier to create a new group from a lookup; than manually remove a bunch from a static list group.

Screen shot below

Alan

Alan M Lee

1st ACC and still standing

e Tech Systems/ OAK!Merge

www.oakmerge.com

add current lookup to a group.jpg

This worked really well. ACT searches seem a bit clunky,