Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database error - HELP

Database error - HELP

Hi,

Suddenly, I have gotten an error and have not been able to access my data from ACT!.  I am running 2012 Premium v 14.1.108.0

The error I am receiving is:  "The SQL database instance in unavailable".  It has been working fine, and ZERO changes have been made to the database and or operating system. (or CPU either)

HELP!  I am about to upgrade to 2013 Premium web, but need all the data that is within 2012!!

Thanks much for the help.

Derek

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database error - HELP

Most5 likely the SQL server is not started.Right click on My Computer and choose manage and then services and check to see if the ACT! instance of the SQL server is running , if not try starting it.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

I did what you said. It appears to be running. I even tried again, and I get the same error.  I am beginning to stress a bit.  Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Derek

Have you restarted the computer since this problem started? If the ACT! instance of the SQL server is running the problem could be a firewall issue. If you are running on Vista or Windows 7 it could be a UAC problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The answer is YES and of course!  I need solutions NOT things that it could be.  I know how to fugure out by reading what it could POSSIBLY be.....I want someone to give me ideas on HOW TO REPAIR the situation.....

Please help me so I will not have to spend unecessary money on tech support at SAGE.

Derek

Hello Derek,
The suggestions that Roy made are all valid as there can be more than one possible cause. This Knowledgebase article provides some suggestions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2880...

Some other possible solutions:

Reset the SQL password from ACT! Diagnostics

1. Click the Windows® Start button, either click Run or go to the Search box, then type actdiag. The ACT! Diagnostics utility will open
  2. In ACT! Diagnostics, click Server, then select Server Security
  3. Click the Reset SQL Password button. Click OK to accept.
  4. Test opening the opening the database.
Run the SecurityCmdLnApp.exe file
This file is located in the ACT! program files directory:
32-bit machines: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT For Windows (or Act for Web)
64-bit machines: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Windows (or Act for Web)

If these do not resolve the issue, you may need to uninstall/reinstall SQL Server on your machine, in which case you should also uninstall ACT!. Remove both, reboot, then run the full install from your ACT! install disk or download

Also, please keep in mind that members responding to your posts are doing so of their own accord and on their own time. This is a user-driven forum, not a tech support site. In addition, responses are based on the information you provide.

Thank you,

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.