Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database cleanup

Copper Contributor

Database cleanup

All,   I have over 50K contacts in ACT Prem 16, its getting slow.

There was a post many years ago on the steps to clean up a bloated database, can anyone direct me to that?

Not the database maintenance as in the Tools menu, but a deep clean of the database.   Thanks

Administrator

Re: Database cleanup

Hi Jim,

There is a Remove Old Data utility built into the software that lets you remove old data. The process for using this is detailed in the below knowledgebase article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14168/kw/14168

We strongly recommend performing a database backup before proceeding. Removed data can't be recovered.

Another method to try is by performing a lookup of contacts that haven’t been edited since a certain date (lookup > other fields > edit date > less than…) and then delete those contacts.

Again, backing up first is strongly recommended.
JM
Nickel Contributor

JimTer,

I use on my 75K contact records on V15 an add-on by Exponenciel Purge Notes & History http://exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=124

It allows you to drill down to removal of specific types of histroy records and can even only remove from what contact list view you have.  Trial the free trail on your Restore As backup copy DB then after performed run the Tools Database Check /Repair/Index.

Then you may want to even run ACTDIAG.EXE to reindex.

JM

Copper Elite Contributor

You can also use the History List v 16 to clean up histories.  I'd look at the System histories (contact deleted, field changed, etc) to see how much of that is no longer needed.  Another thing to realize is that Act relies on SQL and SQL loves a fast computer.  You might look into getting an SSD - you'll be amazed by the difference in performance.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
JM
Nickel Contributor

Good point I totally agree.

I use on my Toshiba Laptop that has SATA-3 interface connector with Samsung SSD EVO-840 128GB configured by its software App.  The Pro is only a little better for ACT, so put your money on the next generation EVO 850 series and go 250GB because size actually helps more than going Pro series.  SSD to HDD are Night and Day difference in speed improvement making a slow i3 cpu PC much faster.  The speed even stopped my random ACT display hang up's because my layout has many fields in Contact Table. Note so far 2 years beeen stable and you don't defrag SSD's so besure to turn that off if enabled in windows.

JM