Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database availability is unstable

Database availability is unstable

ACT Premium 2010, running on Windows 7, shared database.

For a long time all users could open the database from their workstations.  Recently we have an increasing incidence of the database being unavailable.  Once or twice is was sufficient for me to restart the ACT7 service.  Now I constantly have to reboot the machine that is hosting the database.

I have Quickbooks users who can connect to their database while, from the same workstation, the same user can't connect to Act.

I've recreated the PAD a few times, but it hasn't made a difference.

The LAN must be fine because the shared folders haved been available without fail and Quickbooks has remained available and Act on the workstations can browse to the PAD file, but can't open it until I reboot the hosting machine.

The remedy used to be good for a day, but now I find that I need to reboot the host more than once per day.

Thanks for your time.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Database availability is unstable

Presuming it is not a firewall issue, I guess you might have checked the very useful KB  http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125  

You could try two things:

1. When opening Act!, on the shortcut  icon for Act! , right click and choose ' Run as Administrator" to see if it is a security related issue.

2. Edit the pad file to replace the host name with the IP address of the server.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

You only reboot the server, right?
Is the service running?
Can you open Act! on the server ok?
Have you checked the Windows Event Log for any errors when it happens?
What error do you get trying to access it?

Hi to Mike and Graeme.

Firstly, I have followed Graeme's suggestion and replaced the host name in the PAD file with the IP address of that machine.  It seems to have helped in that we have not had any problems today.  I was going to wait until next week to post this update, because I wanted to gather more data.  However, "Thanks Graeme"  I'll come back to your helpful message next week.

Secondly, Mike, all that I do is reboot the host machine.  In all instances, the SQL7 service is running.  In a few instances the problem disappeared when I restarted the service, but mostly the problem persists until I reboot the host.

Yes, I can run ACT on the host even when none of the remote users can connect to the database.

I browsed the event logs but I didn't see anything that helped.  However, I wasn't sure which logs to even look at, i.e.. Application, System, ...   Perhaps I saw messages that you would have identified as relevant, but that passed over my head.

The error message that came up from ACT was quite lengthy.  I don't have it handy, because I'm at home, but the message was to the effect that the local ACT couldn't connect to the database, or couldn't find it, (not sure which) and that I should check the network and then some more statements that I can't recall.

Thank you both for the time that you devote to this community board.  I'll see how the altered PAD file does as a solution to the problem and report back mid-week.

Interesting that best help so frequently comes from the Southern hemisphere.  Maybe I'd be smarter if I hadn't left there  Smiley Happy

Cheers.

It worked fine for a few days, but the problem returned on Sunday. The image of the error is inserted below.  After I rebooted the server it worked again, i.e. the workstation could connect to the database on the server.

Thanks.ACT error.docx

Bronze Elite Contributor

You probably should get advice on your network at this point. I'm not clear on what you call a server is actually a server operating system or is it a Windows 7 machine that is acting as a server? There may be some indication in event logs that give a clue.

You could try moving the database to another machine and see if it stays accessible.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog