Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Syncing

Copper Contributor

Database Syncing

Hi all, I really hope there's an answer to this query. I've been migrating a company from 6 to 10 recently and thanks to some very helpful posts I thought it had all gone pretty well. Switched them all over last Monday and it looks good with no real complaints to date!

Until...

The boss on Act 6 had is own private DB that he kept to himself. He would periodically sync the company DB with his and then from his dB he would sync his Blackberry. I wish I'd known this before I started!

His DB has about 500 more contacts than the main DB. 

After speaking to Act it appears they have changed the way they allow syncronisation and so as I understand it, he now can't update his personal DB with the company one.

Does anyone know a way round this?? At the moment the only solution I can think of is to make his DB the main one and hide his contacts!

This would obviously be 1. Very embarrasing 2. Very time consuming and 3. I will have a very angry MD!!

Any help is great!

Thanks again

Will

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database Syncing

First off, what they were doing in ACT! 6 was invalid syncing and prone to causing data loss. While it could be done, it was not good practice. If they are using the Standard version of ACT! 10, they need upgrade to the premium version. That will allow setting up limited access to contact records in the database so that a separate database is no longer required. Finally, you might want to hire an ACT! Certified Consultant to help with the setup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Not good when you get surprises like this one - but it’s happened to most of us! 

Suggestion - Convert the bosses’ database as a new ACT 10 database.  Log-on as him. Get all the private records marked as private in the access level. Send (Export) theses to the master database. Now he should see them but no one else. Just in case it loses the private marker during the export mark them with an additional tag in a spare field so you can look them up again and change to private. 

If the MD already has a remote database in ACT 10 consider doing the above on just his machine. Hope that helps. 

Chip  

Independent ACT Support UK

1. Get his database and mark the contacts he wants privtate as such - he may have already done this to stop them syncing before or, if all the records are supposed to be available to everyone, it migh be because of the poor syncing that he has more?

If he can select the contacts he doesn't want others to see in a Lookup, then use - Contacts |  Edit Contact Access

2. Get his database and merge it into the main one.

3. Set up sync (assuming you have the Premium version?) as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6oelo5

4. Look at Handheld Contact to sync to the Blackberry

Copper Contributor

Cheersfor all your help guys. I think what will happen in the end is exactly what you say Mike.

However, he's a fickle man and wants what he used to be able to do Smiley Mad

So for now I've created a new empty db, and then imported both dbs into it, checked for duplicates etc and set so it retains all record manager info and he will now have to 'sync' this way. I've been testing it on the server and to do it this way it takes close to 2 hours to import the data.

They are using handheld already so the syncing down the BB is fine. 

I figure he'll try this for maybe 2 months on a 2 weekly basis before he realises what a real pain it is and then will slowly warm to the idea that he really should just have the one DB Smiley Happy

Until he realises himself though there's no changing his mind!

C'es la vie!

Thanks again 

Will

Once correctly set up, it should appear that he's doing what he used to do... using the laptop and syncing when he wants to.

The Blackberry had a sync for ACT! 6 included in their software, but not for later versions, which is why I recommended Handheld Contact