Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Database Synchronization via SQL Server on Act Premium 2011

Database Synchronization via SQL Server on Act Premium 2011

I wonder if it's possible to connect SQL Server client application to the SQL Server on separate computer  to synchronize main database instead of using Network Synchronization Service or Shared Database?

I want each user data to be stored in a central location where all users can work with it without having separate copies of the database on each client, which eliminates problems with users having to ensure they are all working with the same information.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Database Synchronization via SQL Server on Act Premium 2011

You need either ACT! or a sync service on the system the remotes can sync to
Bronze Elite Contributor

Use ACT! Premium for Web

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I've installed Premium ACT! for Web on the server with SQL Server and Premium ACT! on client workstations with SQL Server as well, but how does SQL on clients machines will connect to the server's database?

ACT! works with SQL only locally, but what do I need to make ACT! work with SQL remotely?

to gleo

The web ACT! version works fine in browser, but how does it help me to work with the same database on Windows version?

Thank you guys for answers.

If the users are remote (not on your LAN), you either use sync or web or terminal services. Opening a database remotely is usually slow and can cause issues. This might help:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

Q: ACT! works with SQL only locally, but what do I need to make ACT! work with SQL remotely?

A: On the database server, you will find DB_NAME.PAD file next to your database folder, DB_NAME being your database name. Open it with notepad, make sure host="SERVER_NAME", SERVER_NAME being your server name. Copy this file to the desktop of each client. Right click on this file, open with Sage ACT! will connect the client to the central database.

That's "Shared Database" that nikita didn't want in the original post.

Also, only if the "remotes" are on the LAN...

GLComputing wrote:
If the users are remote (not on your LAN), you either use sync or web or terminal services. Opening a database remotely is usually slow and can cause issues. This might help:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html

Thanks for this link.

What else can I use if the users are on LAN without sharing suplemental files/using sync service?

As you can see in actdiag or SQL Server Configuration Manager that ACT! runs local database SQL Server as a LocalSystem service, but how can I connect ACT! on the client machine to this database?

Does anybody have a link where explains how ACT! works with SQL or there are any SQL client applincation that connect ACT to the server database? Any help apreciate.

Sharing the database is the correct way on a LAN ... you can't use a different SQL database as the client/server links go through ACT!

Why is this not suitable for you?