Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data integrity - fields changed yet later it is discovered that the data went back to the original data - inconsistent

Copper Elite Contributor

Data integrity - fields changed yet later it is discovered that the data went back to the original data - inconsistent

Hi!

We sell insurance.  I have hundreds of custom fields. We use ACT for sales as well as CSR.  The CSR fields are used to populate MS Word templates to create insurance certificates.  Periodically, it is discovered that the data fields in the CSR tab, though updated and certs created and sent out with the new updated data, later on, the fields go back to the original data. This is a huge problem. We need to have the accurate data in the fields. For instance, today, we discovered a contact where the CSR data for the Workers' Comp was updated in ACT on 11/6/2012. I know it was updated because the Bind Date Field and expiration date fields are set to log in history every time the data is changed.  I looked in history.  On 11/6, Tina changed the bind date from 5/8/12 to 11/1/12.  There was no other history showing that it had been changed since 11/6. Yet, when any 3 of us looked into our client ACT databases, the data went back to the  5/8/12 data.  The other fields that were changed that same day for that client, like policy # also went back to the old data.  Again, no history showing that it had been changed back.

I performed a database maintenance and the old data was still in the fields.

Our system: ACT Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0 Hotfix 4.  3 Users. We sync to a Dedicated Windows Server 2003 at GoDaddy.com.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Data integrity - fields changed yet later it is discovered that the data went back to the original data - inconsistent

Do you have mandatory fields in the database.  If so it is possible that you input the data but ACT does not save the data as it has a mismatched field entry. It should warn you but if the user was in a hurry may have been missed or ignored.

Have you anyway of confirming that the record was correct once it moved of that record?

Is this a stand alone database or is it syncing to or from other databases?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Data integrity - fields changed yet later it is discovered that the data went back to the original data - inconsistent

Three of us sync that same data base to a dedicated server. We all have our own remote databases. Yes, we do have mandatory fields and I do understand what you are saying. That is a possibility.

hi i have the same problem. we sell software and the licence expiry date after it was updated comes back to the old input.

This is very disorganizing as we can't be sure if all dates are correct. This is not very good for our CRM as some customers are getting contacted again to pay for their licences, despite that they paid and their contact has been updated.

And with so many contacts to manage sometimes it is not possible to notice all the mistakes ACT is doing.

When I update the field i press save button. Only thanks to history tab I able to track that I have done that correctely.

Our main database is located on the server- whereas our computers have their own databases, which sync with the main ones. There is not mroe info i can think about right nwo to give.

please help.

p.s I do not get any error messages as re: " user in a hurry" i make sure that after updating contact I always press SAVE button
Platinum Elite Contributor

Is there a reason why you are using synchronization rather than sharing the database on the server? How often are the local databases being synchronized to the server database? My first troubleshooting target would be your setup to see if the problem occurs with the local database or as part of synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129