Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Data Merge - Importing Excel Files with additional information to append to existing contacts

Data Merge - Importing Excel Files with additional information to append to existing contacts

I am using Sage Act Premium. I would like to know if the import / merge feature actually works? I have tested all the combinations (setting duplicate checking options in the Admin tab) then importing data using the import wizard. I wish to MERGE additional information held in an Excel file to the existing Contact record in Act. All I seem to manage is a duplicate record which is not helpful when I have over 10,000 contacts. I have read the knowledge base articles, but whilst they explain what should happen, it doesn't appear to work. Anybody found a real fix for this? Third party tool?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Data Merge - Importing Excel Files with additional information to append to existing contacts

If you're trying to update fields with the import merge, that won't work. The import merge only works for empty fields. For what you want to do you need a third party product like Oakmerge.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Data Merge - Importing Excel Files with additional information to append to existing contacts

Hello Mark,
Welcome to ACT! Community. Are you trying to update fields that already have data, fill in empty fields, or both? Also, what version of ACT! are you using?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Sage Act Premium 2013, Multi user. I wish to append data to existing contact records, so it will be a combination of adding data to empty fields and overwriting data in fields e.g. Adding email addresses where they are missing, update phone numbers if they were wrong. I just don't want to add duplicate records for the same contacts.

On your spreadsheet, do you have any empty cells in any of the columns you have new/updated information in? If so, I would fill them in with the existing data from the contact's record in ACT!. Once this is done, you can use the contact merge option "Replace with source contact". When you get the to the field mapping part of the import, only map the fields you selected for duplicate checking and the fields that need updates or data in them. For the other fields, remove the ACT! field name in the right-hand column. This will ensure that only those fields are affected by the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have opted to use Oakmerge, thank you for your support.

Are you kidding me?

I am seriously regretting the money I spent on this software.  I have been using ACT since version 6, and have never seen duplicate checking and record merging work correctly.

Stupidly thinking "surely they've fixed it by now" I bought APFW with 10 user licenses.  Now, I will be fighting duplicate records and the inability to merge records until I dump this worthless software for something that actually works.

WHAT GOOD IS A CONTACT DATABASE IF YOU CAN'T MERGE CONTACTS AND MANAGE DUPLICATES?  This should be database 101 guys - where's your head?  How many customers are you losing over this?