Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dashboard Startup Error

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Dashboard Startup Error

[ Edited ]

This is the error message I'm getting in Act.

"Act has encountered an error.  Please shutdown the application."

This comes up when I choose to have the dashboard view as the "Startup View".  Once I change it back to "Contacts" there is no error.

Act Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1, running on machine with XP Pro, service pack 3

If anyone has any idea why this is happening, I sure would appreciate the help.

Robert

Message Edited by robertburns on 09-09-2008 10:52 AM
===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author robertburns
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Dashboard Startup Error

Finally figured this one out - it was something corrupted in the application program.  If it still does this error when you try the sample database -- that narrows it down to the app., not the database.  I finally called support and they walked me through an uninstall/reinstall and removal of all entries from the registry.  Complete, clean uninstall and reinstall and it's working just fine now!  Happy days Smiley Happy.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Has nobody run into this problem?
===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer
Copper Contributor

Still no takers?  I can't believe nobody has seen this error - hmmmm.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer
Solution
Accepted by topic author robertburns
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Finally figured this one out - it was something corrupted in the application program.  If it still does this error when you try the sample database -- that narrows it down to the app., not the database.  I finally called support and they walked me through an uninstall/reinstall and removal of all entries from the registry.  Complete, clean uninstall and reinstall and it's working just fine now!  Happy days Smiley Happy.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer
Copper Contributor

Unfortunately the problem recurred.  It appears at this point to be Address Grabber Business.  Once the problem was fixed I went to use AGB and it didn't work as it couldn't find Act.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled and voila - the problem was back.  So I have a call into the folks at eGrabber and we'll see what they have for a solution.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer
Copper Contributor

It turns out it was Address Grabber Pro that was the problem after all.  Finally the culprit became clear.  I uninstalled & re-installed Act, everything was fine, I re-installed Address Grabber, which wouldn't work after the uninstallation/reinstallation of Act, the problem cropped-up again.  I called eGrabber (publisher of Address Grabber Pro) and they confirmed that it was them that was having trouble with the Act dashboard.  The fellow on the phone indicated they had designed it to work with contacts only as the startup window.  This seemed troubling as the dashboard is a standard feature of Act.  An Act 3rd party add-on shouldn't cause a problem with a standard feature of the program it is "adding on" to.  I shared my displeasure with him and he seemed very accomodating and indicated they would try and get a fix written "real soon now" Smiley Happy.

Robert

===

Robert M. Burns
Internet Marketer