Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customizing layout and fields to track previous purchases

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Customizing layout and fields to track previous purchases

[ Edited ]

Hi, I wonder if anybody could give me some guidance.

We manufacture computer software and have recently installed ACT as a contact management system.

An important part Of our business is documenting customers existing software licenses,  so that when they want to upgrade or add to the system we can cross reference they purchase history.

I want to set up a separate tab (in the companies layout) to track and record the various software licenses each company may have purchased. I am looking for some guidance about how this can be best done.  I understand how to add custom fields and edit layouts.

Initially I thought about doing a customize template  with an embedded Excel document which I could create for each customer and add new lines as the purchase more software licenses. However this seems very messy when using such a powerful database tool such as act.  Also it would not be searchable within the database.

The ideal solution would be some kind Of table where this information could be recorded. If I were to do this in a spreadsheet it would work something like this

Date Purchase     Serial Number    No. Of channels   Software type

1/1/10                     123456                  6                               product1

2/2/12                      456789                 2                               product2

Some customers may only have a single license but other may have hundreds.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Jim

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author chromperfect
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Customizing layout and fields to track previous purchases

I'll let members add comments about setting up a custom table and how they are tracking this type of information, and ask if you have looked at using Opportunities to record the information...

In an Opportunity, perhaps Software Type equates to Product, and Serial Number is Item Type. Note: The Type field can added to the Add Product screen by clicking 'Display Fields...').

On Contact Detail screen, on the Opportunities tab you would see which types of software (Products) the customer has, but would need to open the individual Opportunity for details such as quantity.

This would also be a way to track the work done to complete the sale.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author chromperfect
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

I'll let members add comments about setting up a custom table and how they are tracking this type of information, and ask if you have looked at using Opportunities to record the information...

In an Opportunity, perhaps Software Type equates to Product, and Serial Number is Item Type. Note: The Type field can added to the Add Product screen by clicking 'Display Fields...').

On Contact Detail screen, on the Opportunities tab you would see which types of software (Products) the customer has, but would need to open the individual Opportunity for details such as quantity.

This would also be a way to track the work done to complete the sale.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

Jim,

At Xact Software we produce add-on software for ACT! and also sell ACT! software. We created a custom table in ACT! that will handle software activation keys. It is directly integrated with our Licence Manager Server so we don't have to exit ACT! to create keys. There are other functions for reminding us where software assurance is coming up for renewal where a number of our larger mid-range accounting integration products have software assurance. Refer the attached images for detail.

We haven't on-sold this development to other companies but would be happy to quote you based on your requirements.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Greg I think this would work - I will investigate
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Gleo

I think the simple suggest by Greg to use Opportunities might work ok - I will investigate and reply for more information if I need it