Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box

ACT! Premium 2009 11.1.183.0 HF1

Vista Home Premium SP1, 32-Bit

SQL Server 2005 Express SP3

I've noticed an odd situation when using Tools > Customize Menus and toolbars where after clicking the menu option

ACT! switches the view randomly to another view then displays the customize dialog box.  After cancelling out and

trying the tools > customize menus and toolbars again it switches to another random view.  I repeat that until I get

the actual view I want to customize and it's fine from there.  I did manually remove preferences and got the getting 

started wizard and set up all the preferences again.  The problem though appears that it's application controlled not

a setting in a preferences file though.  

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author act_enthusiast
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box

[ Edited ]

I believe this is caused by the actually toolbar files being corrupted.  Try deleting the whole ACT for Windows 11 folder located below:

XP:  C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 11

Vista: C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 11

If you have any custom columns you want to retain, move the SER files to a different location and replace them after the files have been rebuilt.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 06-03-2009 09:58 AM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author act_enthusiast
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box

[ Edited ]

I believe this is caused by the actually toolbar files being corrupted.  Try deleting the whole ACT for Windows 11 folder located below:

XP:  C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 11

Vista: C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 11

If you have any custom columns you want to retain, move the SER files to a different location and replace them after the files have been rebuilt.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 06-03-2009 09:58 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

David,

Thank you for helping me with this, the process you suggested worked.  I have to say i'm impressed with the number

of posts that you, Mike Lazarus and Roy L crank out in a day.  You are all reliably accurate and just wanted to let you

guys know I appreciate what you do Thank You.

Glad to help!
Avid Listener

Re: Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box in ACT 2010

[ Edited ]

I get the same random switching of views when trying to customize a menu bar.  I tried the solution suggested above, and it worked for one click of the customize menus option, but then the problem recurred.

I am using ACT 2010 (Hotfix 3) and Windows XP (SP3).

Thanks for any assistance.

Message Edited by Torrey on 11-02-2009 09:29 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Customize Menus and Toolbars Randomly Switches Views Before Showing Dialog Box in ACT 2010

Would the same solution help with Act 2010 Standard?

This is driving me nuts, I try to customize the toolbar and it locks up the system, then I leave "Select Layout" on because there is some kind of bug and hopefully will be fixed in the future. Now I can't seem to get the darn program to customize the right toolbar.

Thank you,
Ann
Copper Contributor

You are correct in that the error message seems to stem from the removal of the "View Layout" icon on the toolbar. I am running 2010 and have had the same problems as you in trying to customize the toolbar. Of course the first thing I always went to remove was that stupid icon because it's useless for me and takes up a bunch of room. Now that I've been leaving it, but removing and adding other icons, I haven't had a problem. Not a perfect solution, but I guess I'll take it for the time being!

- deleting the preference folders doesn't help the problem in version 2010. The above is the only "solution" I've been able to find.