Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customers and Leads in Same Database APFW 2013

Customers and Leads in Same Database APFW 2013

We've stumbled through using APFW2013 for the last few years by keeping separate Leads and Customer databases.  It does cause duplication in data entry when a lead becomes a customer, but I never could see my users being happy with the way the Company thing works in ACT. 

Now I really need to find a way to put leads and customers in the same database.  I've searched the KB and the forums, and everything I find about using it this way uses the Company feature (which is cumbersome and counter-intuitive imo) and doesn't do a good job of explaining how best to set this up and use it.

My concerns :  Salespeople typically work with leads, only occasionally needing to look up a customer, so it probably won't change the way they use ACT much, BUT - I use the Leads database each week to run a lead report to get a lead count for all the salespeople (query by create date).  I don't see how I could keep new customers out of this report?

Office staff work primarily in the Customer database.  I'm seriously worried about retraining them to use Company (they've been using Contacts since ACT 6.0 - they've NEVER used the Company feature of ACT).

Is there a "quick and easy" way to separate leads from customers and easily tell the difference?  I added a "Is Customer" checkbox in the Leads database so salespeople can at least see that when looking at a lead but it's

I guess I'm looking for you guys to either confirm my suspicions that this will be a nightmare and nobody will be happy - OR - tell me I've overlooked something wonderful that will make this easy for everyone LOL (well I can dream)

I guess what I've dreamed of is two databases in one - a link or button for "customers" and "leads" and something on each contact record that tells me whether it's a "customer" or a "lead".  Seems so simple, yet so far out of my reach...

ANY suggestions, links to "how to", etc. GREATLY appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Customers and Leads in Same Database APFW 2013

Create another checkbox field to identify ... You could also create a Dynamic Group, based on this checkbox to group them, if you like

Re: Customers and Leads in Same Database APFW 2013

Thanks for responding, but I don't understand - I already have the "Is Customer" checkbox in the leads (and could easily add to Customers before merging) - is this what you meant, or something else?

I know others must combine leads and customers in one database - I'd love to know how!

One of the problems I see with using the Company feature is that most of our customers are small startups, and a surprisingly large number of them change their company name multiple times before finally settling on one. Too much database management to keep up but we try.

Plus it just doesn't seem logical. If I'm in a contact record and update the company name there, this does NOTHING to the Company record, right? I just suspect that trying to use it the way ACT intended is going to create more problems than it solves. Smiley Sad