Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Customers and Contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Customers and Contacts

We are currently using Act to maintain a database of customers and prospective customers. When a prospective customer asks to trial our software, we add them to act as a contact. On many occassions we get several individuals from the same company trialing our software. When this happens we create a company and add the contacts to the company.

When the company becomes a customer we change a field that recognises them as a customer for each of the contacts. I addition we give the company a status as customer.

What we are finding difficult is being able to create a group that lists our company customers using dynamic search criteria and that is truly 100% accurate.

Has anyone got any suggestions either best parctice, work arounds or 3rd party add ons that work?

Many thanks

Ernie

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Falcon703549
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Customers and Contacts

Ernie,

yes, that makes sense.  Consider adding a field to the Contact Record like"Primary Contact" and using this field with the "Customer" field to identify only one record from a Company with multiple contacts.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Ernie,

your dynamic query would select the field that contains the "customer" value (perhaps ID/Status). Are you saying that even though you do this, the Customer Group does not contain all of your customers?

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Contributor

Hi Neil

If I use groups and yes select ID/Status = Customer then I can get the dynamic search to show all contacts who are shown as customers. However if we work on the basis that the Company is the customer, not the contact but several contacts may work for the Company (Customer) I get an untrue picture of the size of the customer base.

If I try to use Groups on to do the same with Companies, I can't as there is no facility to do the same seach criteria on a company.

Does that make sense?

Ernie

Solution
Accepted by topic author Falcon703549
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Ernie,

yes, that makes sense.  Consider adding a field to the Contact Record like"Primary Contact" and using this field with the "Customer" field to identify only one record from a Company with multiple contacts.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Contributor

Thanks Neil, that did the job!