Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom report of Opportunities/Products by Company/Contact (ACT! Premium 2011)?

Nickel Contributor

Custom report of Opportunities/Products by Company/Contact (ACT! Premium 2011)?

Hello,

I'm trying to make a report that shows Opportunity and Product information, but can be filtered by either Company or Contact. I'm of the understanding that I would need one report for the Company filtering, and one for the Contact, which is fine. I need to get to the product information for the pricing/cost information.

I've only started on the Company report, but I've run into problems. I can display the "company opportunity" values just fine, but once I try to include the "company opportunity product" values, things start to break. If I include the product values in line (not in a sub-report), I start to get extra rows/duplicates. I'm guessing this is because it is a company based report (so I can filter on it), and how ACT! is doing the table joining behind the scenes.

To get around this, I tried to add the product information into a sub-report. The problem I run into with this is that I get the dreaded (for a .NET developer, that is) "Object Reference not set to an Instance of an Object" error. I'm guessing that this error is popping up because not all companies have opportunities, which is a very possible (and probable) scenario for this report.

Is there any way of accomplishing this report in ACT! without any add-ons or other reporting tools? If so, can anyone provide some advice as to what I'm missing?

Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Custom report of Opportunities/Products by Company/Contact (ACT! Premium 2011)?

Possibly  but I've never tried the specific report you're referring to. Your main problem is that Conpany, Oppertunity and Products are in separate tables. The ideal situation would be to have Company as the main report , Oppertunity as a sub-report and Product as a sub-report to Opportunity. Unfortunately the ACT! reports only allow one level of sub-reports.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

Re: Custom report of Opportunities/Products by Company/Contact (ACT! Premium 2011)?

Roy,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that it may not be possible, but I felt the need to ask more knowledgable people than me. The overall design of the report isn't difficult, as you stated, but the limitations within ACT! are a bit of a hinderance.

Unless anyone else knows a way, I think I'm going to call this dead in the water for my project. ACT! can do a lot, but I don't think it can do what we want, how we want it in this regard.