Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Table

Custom Table

Hi I am trying to figure out how to create a new Custum Table for when i do a OLE DB pull into ACT.  Right now the information I need is in two different tables.  One is VRP Contact and the other is VRP Custom 1.  No one here knows how we got the different ones. 

How can i create a new Table and have it pull information from existing fields that are currently located in different tables? 

Silver Contributor

Re: Custom Table

[ Edited ]

While ACT has the ability to utilize custom tables, i'm not sure if that is what you need. First to answer your question, you can create a custom table using an ACT addon to do this.  There are many vendors that have custom table addins. Most notably Durkin Computing, and Topline Dash and CRMAddons.us (there are most likely more)

Here is what I believe is going on with you. ACT creates spill over tables automaticaly These are transparent to the users, however, when you attempt to report or access via ODBC, you may see them.  It sounds like you are having difficulty viewing these as one logical table for reporting purposes.

The spill over table can be reuinted with the primary contact tasble using the join feature within your reporting program. Crystal reports has a way to do this and I believe Access does as well. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Any new field i create goes into VRP Contact table.  Fields htat have been in use for a long time are the ones not showing up in the VRP Contact table by default.  I can work around it by creating a field named "abc" and copying the info from the old field which is in the wrong table to the new field.  I then delete the old field and rename the new one to the name of the old one. 

But yes, the tables are not lining up correclty.  The data is not sorted the same.

Employee

If your having trouble tracking down a field, from the Act Diagnostic utility (Start -> Run -> ActDiag) -- you can get a field detail report that will give you the table name for any column. To run the field detail report, after you've launched the diag, select database list from the database menu at the top, right click on a database, choose Database Reports -> Database Structure -> Field Detail Report.

The previous poster is correct that these fields may reside in a spill over table, but if that were the case I'd expect new fields that you create to also be landing in the spill over table.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

i can find the fields and i can see which tables they belong to.  Is there a way to copy or connect the tables?  When i do a queory in Excel i can add both tables, but the data does not line up.  A row will show info for one contact until it gets to the column where the next Table info starts and it starts showing info from another contact.  So the two tables dont match up when i queory them both in excel.

I would really love to make them all one table or be able to connect the two tables so the data matches up.

We recently deleted a ton of old fields, so that might be why the new fields are not going into the spill over table. 

I would like to put all the info into the Contact table so i can make that single connection in excel and get the info i need.

Employee

You should be able to write a SQL query to JOIN the appropriate tables so as it will display relevant data.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator