Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Reporting Using Data from User Field

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Custom Reporting Using Data from User Field

[ Edited ]
I'd like to run a report which takes data from the fields I customized in the User Field tab of the Opportunities.  I have attempted to edit the report template, but do not see these fields as options.  How can I use the built-in tools to include these fields in my report?
Message Edited by Isabelle on 05-05-2008 11:11 AM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isabelle
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Custom Reporting Using Data from User Field

My ACC helped me with this one.  I thought I needed a subreport, but just using the Field function in the report editor was enough for me.  It includes all fields, even custom ones.  Also, if you need something more comprehensive, we tried out Stonefieldquery.  I wanted each product line to show in my report, and we needed the module for that.  www.stonefieldquery.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

What report are you trying to modify?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor

I was using the Opportunity by Record Manager report.  I need to show revenue earned by each sales manager, but also need to show EBITDA.  I have the sales managers entering in their EBITDA numbers custom fields in the user field tab, but do not see how to include those fields in any report.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The report you are trying to modify is based on the Opportunity table and you can't add field from the Contact table to that report.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]
I am also trying to modify the opportunities by record manager report by  including the contact phone number.  Please tell me that this is not impossible.  It is not an unreasonable request. 
Message Edited by sunnydd on 05-16-2008 11:17 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Reasonable or not, its based on the opportunity table and you can't include fields from the contact table such as the contact phone number.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

It is what it is, but the lack of customization on the out of the box product is a real problem.  We will be likely looking for an alternate CRM solution that is more robust.  I am surprised that ACT has been around for a long time considering it's limitations, which are many.  It is a program designed for a salesman, not an organization looking to streamline sales processes and manage information. 

Message Edited by ghollister on 07-18-2008 10:55 AM
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isabelle
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

My ACC helped me with this one.  I thought I needed a subreport, but just using the Field function in the report editor was enough for me.  It includes all fields, even custom ones.  Also, if you need something more comprehensive, we tried out Stonefieldquery.  I wanted each product line to show in my report, and we needed the module for that.  www.stonefieldquery.com

What you really want to do is to access underlying SQL database, to then get access to your data with something like Microsoft Access which can handle relational tables in reports. Assuming you have an SA account on the SQL server, it's relatively trival to do so, of course you have to generate your reports outside of ACT, but it's a small price to pay for freedom.
Tuned Listener

I couldn't agree with you more.  I found it very frustrating in working with the Advanced Query and Reporting Tools.  They just don't give you access to all of the fields and tables.  Finally, we purchased ACT Reader utility, and I am able to get the data out in any way we need it.   

The problem is that ACT is a relational db, but the tools they provide are severely lacking.  I think the ACT reader should be free, considering the shortcomings of the tools within ACT.  But that's just my opinion.