Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Dropdown Fields Not Copying when using "Copy/Move Data"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Custom Dropdown Fields Not Copying when using "Copy/Move Data"

We recently added 4 drop-downs to the contact screen in an ACT database that we have been using for the last 4 years (recently upgraded from 2009). I set the fields to be primary so that they should move when copying data, but when I am merging duplicate contacts, the fields to not cay over to the final contact. 

Just as an example, we have a field called "budget" and it's tied to the "budget" drop-down that has three options, yes, no, and personal. I run into a duplicate and want to merge them. If I merge the contact (using "Copy/Move contact Data") from the contact that has the "budget" selected, to the one that does not have anything in the field, it leaves the field blank rather than copying over the value that was filled in. I don't understand why this is happening...can someone explain it to me or help me figureout how to get it to copy over on the merge?

Currently running: ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author CamWells
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Custom Dropdown Fields Not Copying when using "Copy/Move Data"

CamWells,

From my experience with the Copy/Move Data feature for merging records, you HAVE to select the field and choose copy for each field you want to copy over.  This insures that you select the fields you need copied over. Do you merge the records first, then instead of deleting the original, you do a copy/paste?  Re-reading your post, it looks as if when you choose to copy the field in the merge tool it copies as it should.

The primary setting is used when you duplicate a record - meaning it will populate a new record with the primary fields indicated when you choose Duplicate Contact/duplicate records from primary fields.

Hope this makes sense.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

Technology Transfer Services

(813) 908-1100 x231

(603)767-3693 (m)

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Anyone?
Nickel Super Contributor

Is that field required (cannot be empty)?

If so, try turning that off when you merge.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

CamWells,
Also if you have enabled he option for the dropdown to "limit to list", try turning that off as well. And just to verify, in the copy/move data wizard, you are manually copying the data from that field in the source contact to the one in the target contact?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

If I manually find the fields and click the "Copy" button when using the wizard it does copy the fields (but it's less time consuming to do it manually after merging the records to be honest because of all the fields we have).

I will try turning those options off in the field tonight and let you know how it goes....but I need people to only choose from the list, so it's not like I can leave the option turned off...I'll let you know. 

Copper Contributor

I finally had a chance to troubleshoot this and nothing seems to work, tried disabling and/or enabling all options and the same problem still exists. Might it have something to do with the fact that these are all dropdowns? Any other iedas I can try?

Copper Contributor

No ideas huh? I'm still at a loss. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Well being that you are working thought it, and the (seemingly) consistent variable is that the fields have a drop down, why not turn the drop down off/remove from the field and try the merge?

Your drop down does not get lost, you can just turn it back on like the other properties...

See what that does...

Copper Contributor

Good idea, I'll give it a try and post back. 

Bronze Super Contributor