Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Custom Dropdown Fields Not Copying when using "Copy/Move Data"

Copper Contributor

Re: Custom Dropdown Fields Not Copying when using "Copy/Move Data"

I didn't have a chance to do it last night because I have to lock the database to make the changes and people were working late...hopefully I can do it tonight. I'll post back and let you know, thanks for checking up.

Copper Contributor

I was finally able to test it this weekend. I disabled the dropdowns on all of the fields and none of them would copy, so it's not the dropdowns. I just don't get it!!

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author CamWells
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

CamWells,

From my experience with the Copy/Move Data feature for merging records, you HAVE to select the field and choose copy for each field you want to copy over.  This insures that you select the fields you need copied over. Do you merge the records first, then instead of deleting the original, you do a copy/paste?  Re-reading your post, it looks as if when you choose to copy the field in the merge tool it copies as it should.

The primary setting is used when you duplicate a record - meaning it will populate a new record with the primary fields indicated when you choose Duplicate Contact/duplicate records from primary fields.

Hope this makes sense.

Kris Lock

IT Manager

Technology Transfer Services

(813) 908-1100 x231

(603)767-3693 (m)

www.techtransfer.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Copper Contributor

Well, I guess that explains it then. I thought the primary field indicator was for merging records as well. But now I see it is only when duplicating as you stated. (Primary Field - allows the field to be copied when duplicating a record.) 

The only way to get the data to copy from one contact to another when using the "Copy/Move Contact Data" is to manually select the fields and hit the copy button in the merge wizard...thanks.