Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating very large databases in premium

Creating very large databases in premium

Hello-

I recently purchased ACT premium, a new 4 core computer and external hard drive in order to create a very large database. (over 100 million contacts) these records don't have notes or attachments just name address phone and email. After I loaded about 250k I started to notice lag time and screen freeze. I checked the resources on my computer and have used less then 1% Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advanced for your replies

Matt-

Copper Contributor

Re: Creating very large databases in premium

Hello Matt, that sounds a bit of a large number of records to be dealing with. On act Premium 2011 there is a database limit of 4Gb. Might be worth checking the size of your .ADF file first. In my experience moving up to the full SQL database gives you a larger capacity but I think that may even struggle with the number of records you are talking about. Would be interesting to hear if any other users have managed that number of records before? John 3JK Support

John-

About the 4Gb limit, Is that per individual database? I suppose I could break these into zip code files and just have a couple hundred databases. Although I would much rather have them all in one.

Matt-

Platinum Elite Contributor

Premium 2011 (with SQL 2008) has 10GB limit
But... SQL Express (2005 or 2008) can only use 1GB RAM and 1 Processor
So not taking advantage of all the cores or more RAM (if you have)

Actually, processor speed isn't that important for a database unless many users or using web ... but access to more RAM and faster drives will make a difference

You might look at upgrading to SQL 2008 Standard from Microsoft
Also, you didn't say which OS... but if 64bit, get 64bit SQL 2008 Std
Also 15K RPM drives (or SSD) in RAID 5 or 6 will give a good boost

Also, regularly run Database Maintenance (daily from the scheduler is good) and maybe a weekly defrag (automated in Vista and Win7)
Platinum Elite Contributor

You referred to using an external hard drive, if it's using a USB interface that's the real cause of your performance problem. A better investment would be a 10K RPM internal hard drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129