Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a Lookup from the TaskList

Application: Sage ACT! Premium (Web) 2011 Version: 13.1.105.0

Browser: Mozilla Firefox vers. 12.0

O/S: Windows 2000 Professional, SPK 4 D/B

I am new to ACT/Web, however I am familiar with ACT6. My natural inclination is to do things as I am accustomed in the old system.

For instance: I would like to create a Lookup by selecting multiple tasks from the TaskList.

How is this done?

In ACT6, you do as follows...

(1) Highlight the desired tasks

(2) Right click

(3) Choose "Goto Contact" from the popup menu

Result: You will be taken into Contact mode, showing the desired records (ie a Lookup will have been created).

I've tried the same thing in ACT/Web but it doesn't seem to work, at least the way I'm doing it.

Here's what I'm doing...

(1) I open the TaskList (it shows 40 activities).

(2) I select 5 activities --- I click the fifth task, then hold down {Shift} , then drag the mouse to the 9th task.

(3) I click the MagnifyingGlass.

(4) This takes me to Contacts/ListView.

(5) I click DetailView

Result: It shows 40 records in the Lookup. I was expecting only 5.Apparently selecting activities by dragging the mouse is not working the way I had anticipated.

I thought it may be a browser problem (Firefox), so I tried Internet Explorer. Same results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now a couple of related questions:

(1) Why doesn’t ListView tell me how many records in the Lookup? Why do I have to go to DetailView to find out? In ACT6, the ContactList (the equivalent of ListView) displays how many records in the Lookup. Depending on how many records in the list and which record is currently selected, it may say or etc.

(2) Are there any user manuals or tutorials on this site, that show simple procedures as the one I've described above?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Re: Creating a Lookup from the TaskList

The way that the Task List look up should work is it should only pull up a lookup of contacts who are associated with each activity. When you say you're dragging the mouse, are you letting go of the left click button before moving the mouse down to the 9th contact? Do any of the selected activities have a lot of your contacts associated with them?

The list view in the Act for Windows version does show how many contacts are in your lookup from the list view, but you are correct, in the web it does not. This is functioning as designed. Unfortunately, the only way is to go to the detail view.

A great resource that you may find useful for learning how to perform various procedures in Act would be our Knowledgebase, http://kb.act.com/ 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Hi Elise:

Thank you for responding.

> Do any of the selected activities have
> a lot of your contacts
> associated with them?

No there are no activites with multiple contacts.
It's a one-to-one relationship between activites and contacts.

> When you say you're dragging the mouse,
> are you letting go of the left click button
> before moving the mouse down to the 9th contact?

I am holding the left-click button down as I move the mouse from activity 5 to 9.
As a result the selected activities are highlighted in blue.
Then I click the MagnifyingGlass.

I've also tried the same thing with just one activity.
I left-click a single activity and it becomes blue.
Then I click the MagnifyingGlass.
I still end up with a Lookup of 40 contacts (ie all those on the TaskList).    

> A great resource that you may find
> useful for learning how to perform
> various procedures in Act
> would be our Knowledgebase, http://kb.act.com/

I'm afraid I have not found it useful in researching this very topic.
  "Premium - creating a lookup from the task list"

On the first page of results (10 hits) only one deals with the task list, however it does not deal with ACT Premium.

Can you give me some specific urls for "ACT Premium" user-manuals and tutorials.

Thanks,
Gary